Re: Hills A/D is not Science Diet was What Is The Best Food To Feed An HCM Kitty?

  • Shirley G.
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1 2:36 PM
      -Hills a/d is very good. I used it on another cat I have who has IBD
      and she loved it. My Peaches cat does not. I wish she did because it
      is really fine quality prescription canned catfood and they do gain
      weight from it and it does not upset their stomachs which is why my
      IBD cat was on
      it. -- In
      feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Susan <somnamblst@y...> wrote:

      > --- Craig Schriever <dime_store_hero@y...> wrote:
      > Most HILLS Science Diet products are also
      > > Questionable if you ask me.
      >
      > A/D is actually not Hills Science Diet it is Hills
      > Prescription Diet and it does not have by products. It
      > is specifically formulated by vets to provide a highly
      > nutritious and palatable food that is easily syringe
      > fed. It is probably the most appropriate food other
      > than Eukanuba Recovery to feed a cat who is in a
      > critical care situation or suffering from any type of
      > organ faliure or cardiac cachexia (lean muscle mass
      > weight loss).
      >
      > See below for complete product info including
      > ingredients:
      > "Canine/Feline a/d®
      > For the Nutritional Management of Pets Recovering From
      > Serious Illness, Accidents and Surgery Both dogs and
      > cats can undergo significant changes when faced with a
      > serious illness, injury or surgery. They may have
      > trouble maintaining natural defenses and sparing lean
      > body mass(in other words, they may be losing body
      > weight from muscle or organ tissue), which can affect
      > recovery. Prescription Diet® Canine/Feline a/d® has
      > been specifically formulated by veterinarians to be
      > fed to dogs or cats with certain debilitating
      > conditions. These conditions can be affected by the
      > lack of key nutrients and digestible energy.
      >
      > Ingredients
      > Water, poultry liver, chicken, corn flour, casein,
      > fish oil, sodium tripolyphosphate, guar gum, taurine,
      > minerals (calcium carbonate, potassium chloride,
      > magnesium oxide, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, copper
      > sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium
      > selenite), vitamins (choline chloride, vitamin D3
      > supplement, vitamin E supplement, thiamine, niacin,
      > calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride,
      > riboflavin, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12
      > supplement).
      >

      > Susan
      >
      > =====
      > Rudy: Male DSH brown tabby, feral mom, diagnosed 09-2002 at 19
      months of age with idiopathic HCM: grade 2 murmur, hyperkinetic
      heart, borderline normal thickening, considered asymptomatic, 12.5 mg
      Atenolol 1x day, 1/2 baby aspirin 2x week administered via pilling