Vet articles regarding cardiac nutrition and Fox study was Bob's Recheck Echo Results

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2003
      --- Myra DeTate <mdetate@...> wrote:
      Dr. Moore spent
      > over an hour with
      > me going over all my questions regarding the
      > articles Susan
      > referenced "Nutritional modulation of cardiac
      > disease" & "Critical
      > Care in Cats" & the In Practice article. Although
      > he does not
      > personally suscribe to In Practice, he is asking the
      > many other vets
      > in the clinic to get the full text of the "Dietary
      > considerations in
      > cardiac disease" abstract. If he can't find a copy
      > on site, he will
      > give me the medical library where I can get a copy.

      Myra,

      When you find the article copy it and if needed I can
      OCR it, no reason for you to retype it. We will have
      to be careful regarding copyright, I think we will
      have to just email it to those who want to read it. I
      live close to the University of Cincinnati's Med.
      School but I'm not sure if they subscribe to vet
      periodicals. Anyone live near Ohio State? A lot of vet
      cardiologists come from or are associated with that
      school.

      Additionally, I asked
      > about Dr. Fox's
      > study & Dr. Moore said they are all waiting for it.

      Good to know they are aware of it.

      He was very interested in
      > the email from
      > Lynne Nelson Susan included as he knows & respects
      > her.

      I have found that vet's who have email addresses
      attached to their available articles on the internet
      will answer one email but rarely two :(

      We went
      > over the "Nutritional modulation of cardiac disease"
      > article page by
      > page, Weight
      > maintenance - Bob
      > lost 5 ounces since March. Dr. Moore said that they
      > had used the
      > Max Cal dry food from Eukanuba, but that it had been
      > discontinued.

      Very disappointing. Lots of cats are dry food junkies.
      I wonder if a letter writing campaign would help. I
      think most vets were not aware it existed.

      > He suggested I give Bob a premium kitten food as
      > snacks. He also
      > gave me a script for A/D to try to put some weight
      > back on. Bob is
      > getting enough omega-3, omega-6 & taurine from
      > Feline Missing Link,
      > but if I want to supplement additional taurine it
      > would not hurt.

      FYI my vet's receptionist called to relay the message
      that my vet gave the OK for raw baby clams for Rudy
      but he is asymptomatic. I looked up iodine content and
      it s comparable to chicken. Seaweed is off the chart
      for iodine as are snacks like tortilla chips.

      > As long as Bob does not have pleural effusion or
      > fluid retention of
      > any kind, he does not see the need to limit sodium
      > intake or
      > restrict his diet.

      I will also
      > continue to give Bob CoQ10 & antioxidants.

      I looked up food sources of CoQ10 and organ meats are
      high in CoQ10. Has anyone had luck feeding raw organ
      meats or know of any reason not to feed organ meats? I
      am trying to find food sources of nutrients as I don't
      want to stress Rudy by pilling anything larger than
      1/2 aspirin.

      Susan

      =====

      http://sbc.yahoo.com