RE: [FH] my cat stinky

  • Wathey, Lisa
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2003
      I'm so sorry about Stinky's diagnosis. It is terrifying but know that are many many cats on this list who are being treated and who have lived long kitty lives. It is a scary disease but the echo will tell you more and tell you how you can aggressively start treating it. I am not sure if a murmur always means a cat has cardiomyopathy but it sounds like that's what your vet suspects. Take a look at the links in the files on HCM and read what you can. Please don't panic at the estimated life expectancy in some of the articles. It may sometimes mean a shortened life, but it can be much longer than any of these articles are giving our babies credit for. Take care and give Stinky a wonderful brushing tonight, Lisa W.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 30, 2003
        Bandit was diagnosed with a level 5 heart murmur right before Memorial Day.
        He is only going to be 2 on the 4th of July. Each cat is different and
        responds differently. Unfortunately, Bandit does have HCM, and is on medications.
        I have heard of numerous cats responding very well and living for quite some
        time by taking the meds. Bandit isn't responding well and nothing has changed
        in this past month. Each cat is different. Bandit doesn't want to eat much
        at all. Eating is one of the key factors. They have to eat. Unfortunately, 2
        days after his echo he threw a blood clot which paralyzed him for a day.
        This has been our biggest problem. He got his circulation back but still has
        trouble walking and his hind legs are beginning to atrophy. I have to do
        physical therapy on him to try to strengthen and stop them from becoming any worse.
        As I said, each cat reacts differently. Listen to your vet and ask questions
        if you have them. You can never have too much knowledge when it comes to HCM.
        There are a lot of knowledgeable and very helpful people here. Take
        advantage of it and heed their advice. Just remember, how one cat reacts isn't
        necessarily the way Stinky will. Each one is treated differently.

        Good luck, and we are sorry to hear about Stinky's heart murmur. I hope all
        goes well.

        Sandy

      • diane
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 30, 2003
          Kearra was a 3-4 when she was dx'd at 3.5 years. She lived to be over
          9 and until her last day she never showed any signs of illness. The
          ultrasound will show a lot and which meds Stinky needs to be on.

          My SO wanted to name Kali "Stinky" when we got her (she had a very
          smelly butt as a result of some diarrhea). Even though I said "no"
          and named her Kali, he still says "Hi Stinky" a lot when he sees her,
          and she responds to that as well.

          Glad you were able to find us.

          Diane