What Is The Best Food To Feed An HCM Kitty?

  • Sheila Coyle
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2003
      What are some of the very very best foods to feed a Feline HCM "patient"?

      Creamy Guy is 10 years old. Diagnosed Mar. 03. Symptoms were: weight loss over a very very long period of time. Diagnosed with heart murmur grade 4. Meds are Diltiazem (transdermal for ear application), lasix, baby aspirin 2 x a week, clavamox cycle 10 days 1 x every 45 day period, Transfer Factor, taurine. His heart rate has slowed considerably since March due to medications and is now normal rate. The heart according to the x ray in March was normal and regular size. It is the interior walls of the heart that seem to have thickened and caused the extra hard pumping work. No, I did not have an echo ran. I would have to go to Iowa State University 200 miles from here, and cost would be $ 300. He is a bit of a nut in the car travel anyway, and I try to keep his stress at a minimum.

      He is doing (knock on wood and thank heavens...) really really well. He is eating like a pig: Kitten Food especially the Iams. He has gained weight on this food. He nibbles at many other canned, and dry foods. I just wanna give him the very very best foods. He's all ready getting very good care from my vet here locally who is a 1999 grad of Iowa State and I am very satisfied with the present care and treatment of Creamy Guy, as well as two other cats she treated for Chronic Renal Failure, and FIV, who are, unfortunately, in Kitty Heaven now.

      Thank you for your input.
      Peace to you and your furry felines.........>^,,^<
      Sheila and Creamy Guy
      (Nebraska)
      scoyle@...

    • Susan
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 30, 2003
        Sheila,

        I am not sure if it is the best food but Purina has a
        food called CV that vets can order. If weight loss
        (cardiac cachexia) is an issue Hills A/D also
        available via vet has maximum food value in a highly
        palatable form with some really good things for weight
        loss like Omega 3 Fish Oil, and carnitine and
        electrolytes. Cats in CHF have a higher metabolism
        anyway so even if they are eating the same they will
        lose lean muscle mass. See:

        Nutritional Modualtion of Cardiac Disease
        http://walthamusa.com/articles/wf102fre.pdf

        Susan

        --- Sheila Coyle <scoyle@...> wrote:
        > What are some of the very very best foods to feed a
        > Feline HCM "patient"?
        >
        > Creamy Guy is 10 years old. Diagnosed Mar. 03.
        > Symptoms were: weight loss over a very very long
        > period of time. Diagnosed with heart murmur grade
        > 4. Meds are Diltiazem (transdermal for ear
        > application), lasix, baby aspirin 2 x a week,
        > clavamox cycle 10 days 1 x every 45 day period,
        > Transfer Factor, taurine. His heart rate has slowed
        > considerably since March due to medications and is
        > now normal rate. The heart according to the x ray
        > in March was normal and regular size. It is the
        > interior walls of the heart that seem to have
        > thickened and caused the extra hard pumping work.
        > No, I did not have an echo ran. I would have to go
        > to Iowa State University 200 miles from here, and
        > cost would be $ 300. He is a bit of a nut in the
        > car travel anyway, and I try to keep his stress at a
        > minimum.
        >
        > He is doing (knock on wood and thank heavens...)
        > really really well. He is eating like a pig:
        > Kitten Food especially the Iams. He has gained
        > weight on this food. He nibbles at many other
        > canned, and dry foods. I just wanna give him the
        > very very best foods. He's all ready getting very
        > good care from my vet here locally who is a 1999
        > grad of Iowa State and I am very satisfied with the
        > present care and treatment of Creamy Guy, as well as
        > two other cats she treated for Chronic Renal
        > Failure, and FIV, who are, unfortunately, in Kitty
        > Heaven now.
        >
        > Thank you for your input.
        > Peace to you and your furry felines.........>^,,^<
        > Sheila and Creamy Guy
        > (Nebraska)
        > scoyle@...

        > removed]

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
      • Susan
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 30, 2003
          It sounds to me like they are talking about a simple
          fan blowing in the face.

          Oxygen: Have available, administer safely and
          effectively. Provide oxygen by plastic bag, face mask,
          cage, or tent if the patient will tolerate it. If not,
          the airflow of a fan to the face. Just allowing the
          animal to rest quietly in a cage will decrease oxygen
          requirements.

          and:

          Is Pleural Effusion Present? Perform thoracocentesis
          if necessary. Rather than obtaining radiographs, it is
          often safer to attempt thoracocentesis if you suspect
          there is a large pleural effusion. This can be a
          life-saving measure if an effusion is present, and
          generally does little harm if there is no effusion
          (but use a small butterfly cannula)

          from:
          Cardiac Emergencies
          http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings.plx?CID=WSAVA2002&PID=2528&Category=408

          Susan

          http://sbc.yahoo.com
        • Craig Schriever
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 30, 2003
            I wouldnt recommend PURINA CV at all...It made my CAT have blood in his stool. I had to learn the hard way..Most HILLS Science Diet products are also Questionable if you ask me..I also made the mistake of feeding mine HILLS FELINE R/D for weight reduction...Just read the ingredients...the # 1 Ingredient is CHICKEN BY PRODUCT which is all the Un-Edible Parts that humans wont eat. If you have some money I would Wean your cat into WELLNESS from whatever you are currently feeding....It is ALL REAL Meat and fish..No By Products or Salt and PLENTY of Taurine and other Vitamins + Supplements. They also make a Dry Food that is very expensive but it is also all REAL Food with no By Products...You have to add the wet WELLNESS to your current food in small amounts as your cats wont be use to it (Teaspoon a day) till they can build up to it straight by itself...The most important thing you can do is READ the Ingredients and KNOW what a BY PRODUCT really is...You will want to go to your
            Supermarket and throw out every can of Fancy feast, Friskies, Alpo, IAMS,Whiskas etc once you know what you are feeding your cat. Hope this helps!! Craig

            Susan <somnamblst@...> wrote:Sheila,

            --- Sheila Coyle <scoyle@...> wrote:
            > What are some of the very very best foods to feed a
            > Feline HCM "patient"?
            >
            > Creamy Guy is 10 years old. Diagnosed Mar. 03.
            > Symptoms were: weight loss over a very very long
            > period of time. Diagnosed with heart murmur grade
            > 4. Meds are Diltiazem (transdermal for ear
            > application), lasix, baby aspirin 2 x a week,
            > clavamox cycle 10 days 1 x every 45 day period,
            > Transfer Factor, taurine. His heart rate has slowed
            > considerably since March due to medications and is
            > now normal rate. The heart according to the x ray
            > in March was normal and regular size. It is the
            > interior walls of the heart that seem to have
            > thickened and caused the extra hard pumping work.
            > No, I did not have an echo ran. I would have to go
            > to Iowa State University 200 miles from here, and
            > cost would be $ 300. He is a bit of a nut in the
            > car travel anyway, and I try to keep his stress at a
            > minimum.
            >
            > He is doing (knock on wood and thank heavens...)
            > really really well. He is eating like a pig:
            > Kitten Food especially the Iams. He has gained
            > weight on this food. He nibbles at many other
            > canned, and dry foods. I just wanna give him the
            > very very best foods. He's all ready getting very
            > good care from my vet here locally who is a 1999
            > grad of Iowa State and I am very satisfied with the
            > present care and treatment of Creamy Guy, as well as
            > two other cats she treated for Chronic Renal
            > Failure, and FIV, who are, unfortunately, in Kitty
            > Heaven now.
            >
            > Thank you for your input.
            > Peace to you and your furry felines.........>^,,^<
            > Sheila and Creamy Guy
            > (Nebraska)
            > scoyle@...

            > removed]

          • Susan
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 1 7:20 AM
              --- Craig Schriever <dime_store_hero@...> wrote:
              Most HILLS Science Diet products are also
              > Questionable if you ask me.

              A/D is actually not Hills Science Diet it is Hills
              Prescription Diet and it does not have by products. It
              is specifically formulated by vets to provide a highly
              nutritious and palatable food that is easily syringe
              fed. It is probably the most appropriate food other
              than Eukanuba Recovery to feed a cat who is in a
              critical care situation or suffering from any type of
              organ faliure or cardiac cachexia (lean muscle mass
              weight loss).

              See below for complete product info including
              ingredients:
              "Canine/Feline a/d�
              For the Nutritional Management of Pets Recovering From
              Serious Illness, Accidents and Surgery Both dogs and
              cats can undergo significant changes when faced with a
              serious illness, injury or surgery. They may have
              trouble maintaining natural defenses and sparing lean
              body mass(in other words, they may be losing body
              weight from muscle or organ tissue), which can affect
              recovery. Prescription Diet� Canine/Feline a/d� has
              been specifically formulated by veterinarians to be
              fed to dogs or cats with certain debilitating
              conditions. These conditions can be affected by the
              lack of key nutrients and digestible energy.

              Ingredients
              Water, poultry liver, chicken, corn flour, casein,
              fish oil, sodium tripolyphosphate, guar gum, taurine,
              minerals (calcium carbonate, potassium chloride,
              magnesium oxide, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, copper
              sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium
              selenite), vitamins (choline chloride, vitamin D3
              supplement, vitamin E supplement, thiamine, niacin,
              calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride,
              riboflavin, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12
              supplement).

              Susan

              =====

              http://sbc.yahoo.com
            • Shirley G.
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 1 2:36 PM
                -Hills a/d is very good. I used it on another cat I have who has IBD
                and she loved it. My Peaches cat does not. I wish she did because it
                is really fine quality prescription canned catfood and they do gain
                weight from it and it does not upset their stomachs which is why my
                IBD cat was on
                it. -- In
                feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Susan <somnamblst@y...> wrote:

                > --- Craig Schriever <dime_store_hero@y...> wrote:
                > Most HILLS Science Diet products are also
                > > Questionable if you ask me.
                >
                > A/D is actually not Hills Science Diet it is Hills
                > Prescription Diet and it does not have by products. It
                > is specifically formulated by vets to provide a highly
                > nutritious and palatable food that is easily syringe
                > fed. It is probably the most appropriate food other
                > than Eukanuba Recovery to feed a cat who is in a
                > critical care situation or suffering from any type of
                > organ faliure or cardiac cachexia (lean muscle mass
                > weight loss).
                >
                > See below for complete product info including
                > ingredients:
                > "Canine/Feline a/d®
                > For the Nutritional Management of Pets Recovering From
                > Serious Illness, Accidents and Surgery Both dogs and
                > cats can undergo significant changes when faced with a
                > serious illness, injury or surgery. They may have
                > trouble maintaining natural defenses and sparing lean
                > body mass(in other words, they may be losing body
                > weight from muscle or organ tissue), which can affect
                > recovery. Prescription Diet® Canine/Feline a/d® has
                > been specifically formulated by veterinarians to be
                > fed to dogs or cats with certain debilitating
                > conditions. These conditions can be affected by the
                > lack of key nutrients and digestible energy.
                >
                > Ingredients
                > Water, poultry liver, chicken, corn flour, casein,
                > fish oil, sodium tripolyphosphate, guar gum, taurine,
                > minerals (calcium carbonate, potassium chloride,
                > magnesium oxide, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, copper
                > sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium
                > selenite), vitamins (choline chloride, vitamin D3
                > supplement, vitamin E supplement, thiamine, niacin,
                > calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride,
                > riboflavin, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12
                > supplement).
                >

                > Susan
                >
                > =====
                > Rudy: Male DSH brown tabby, feral mom, diagnosed 09-2002 at 19
                months of age with idiopathic HCM: grade 2 murmur, hyperkinetic
                heart, borderline normal thickening, considered asymptomatic, 12.5 mg
                Atenolol 1x day, 1/2 baby aspirin 2x week administered via pilling