crf and high blood pressure

  • Agnes Moscrip
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2001
      The following site has an excellent discussion on the importance of
      controlling high blood pressure and its effect on the kidneys.
      Increased blood flow to the kidneys improve kidneys condition and this
      was my personal observation after getting treatment for my crf/hcm/hbp
      kitty. The text is geared to humans and modified by Dr. Newman DVM...
      It also has an excellent discussion on kidney disease, its causes and
      progression.

      I hope that helps,
      Anyes, angel Lucie, Georgina and Angelica

      ...''Control of systemic hypertension. Systemic hypertension is an
      important mediator of progressive renal injury; there is unequivocal
      evidence that lowering elevated BP slows the progression of renal
      disease, especially in patients with proteinuria. A subgroup analysis
      of MDRD study data showed that, in patients with urinary protein
      excretion >1 g/day, the rate of decline in renal function was slowest
      in those whose BP was maintained at 125/75 mm Hg.[9] In patients
      without proteinuria there appeared to be little additional renal
      benefit to maintaining BP below 135/85 mm Hg...."

      ..."In sum, ACE inhibitors slow the progression of renal failure in
      patients with a wide variety of renal diseases and should be started
      early in the course. Patients with proteinuria are likely to derive the
      greatest benefit. The risk of adverse reactions is small but warrants
      close monitoring after the start of therapy. The specific agent used is
      not important, provided ppropriate dosage adjustments for renal
      dysfunction are made when necessary.

      Use of calcium channel blockers. Although not as well studied as the
      ACE inhibitors, CCBs may also have renoprotective properties. The
      mechanism of this protective effect may differ between the
      dihydropyr-idines (eg, amlodipine, nifedipine, felodipine) and other
      CCBs such as verapamil or diltiazem. The latter two drugs may reduce
      intraglo-merular pressure in a manner similar to that of ACE
      inhibitors; studies in patients with renal disease have shown that
      these drugs, as compared with the ß blocker atenolol, led to a greater
      reduction in proteinuria and a slower progression of renal disease. One
      study has demonstrated an additive reduction in proteinuria when a
      low-dose ACE inhibitor and verapamil were combined."...

      http://www.newmanveterinary.com/Humans-Treatment%20of%20Renal%20Failure%20Medscape.htm
    • Laura Penny
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2001
        Thanks for the article! We've had excellent results with Norvasc (along with
        Diltiazem) in our two HCM/CRF/hypertension kitties. Lower blood pressure has
        meant better kidney values.

        Laura, Lucky & Kassy

      • philip.cleary@virgin.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 22, 2001
          Can anyone help with advice on the correct dose of the ACE inhibitor
          Benazepril (Fortekor) for Dusty, our 3kg CRF cat. She's been put on
          half a 5mg tablet a day following systolic BP of 165-170, measured
          using a Doppler on her front leg, plus heart murmur.
          Anything I've found says 0.25 - 0.5 mg/kg, which makes a third of a
          tablet - but is there a minimum ?
          I can't find any literature as Benazepril was only licenced for CRF
          cats in the UK this month

          Phil Cleary