RE: Bob's Recheck Echo Results

  • Myra DeTate
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 29, 2003
      Our Bob's recheck echo showed some good & some not so good
      indications. His fractional thickness has increased somewhat from
      14% in Mar 2003 to 23% which Dr. Moore said was minor. The good
      part is the LA/AO ratio (which is the indicator of the murmur)
      decreased from 2.05 in Mar 2003 to 1.52. Of course the murmur is
      still present. The blood work will not be back until later today &
      will include a hyper T recheck since it has not been tested for 1
      year, but Dr does not expect to see any change. The x-rays showed
      overall heart shape & size has not changed since Dec 2002 & no
      pleural effusion, but still some indication of asthma. Bob's heart
      size is near normal with some misshape & it appears to touch the
      sternum. No med changes at this time & we will continue to closely
      monitor blood values because of lasix. So Bob's next echo & blood
      recheck will be in 3 to 4 months. Dr. Moore spent over an hour with
      me going over all my questions regarding the articles Susan
      referenced "Nutritional modulation of cardiac disease" & "Critical
      Care in Cats" & the In Practice article. Although he does not
      personally suscribe to In Practice, he is asking the many other vets
      in the clinic to get the full text of the "Dietary considerations in
      cardiac disease" abstract. If he can't find a copy on site, he will
      give me the medical library where I can get a copy. I have accessed
      the medical libraries at UC Irvine & UCLA, but will find out later
      where he recommends I look. Additionally, I asked about Dr. Fox's
      study & Dr. Moore said they are all waiting for it. lol. He also
      said he had attended a conference this month & Dr. Fox presented
      regarding use of long term low weight heparin for clot treatment &
      prevention. We discussed reserving this treatment for the future as
      well as adding enacard. He was very interested in the email from
      Lynne Nelson Susan included as he knows & respects her. We went
      over the "Nutritional modulation of cardiac disease" article page by
      page, but I now see I missed discussing Arginine because the pages
      were stuck together by tooth perforations. Weight maintenance - Bob
      lost 5 ounces since March. Dr. Moore said that they had used the
      Max Cal dry food from Eukanuba, but that it had been discontinued.
      He suggested I give Bob a premium kitten food as snacks. He also
      gave me a script for A/D to try to put some weight back on. Bob is
      getting enough omega-3, omega-6 & taurine from Feline Missing Link,
      but if I want to supplement additional taurine it would not hurt.
      As long as Bob does not have pleural effusion or fluid retention of
      any kind, he does not see the need to limit sodium intake or
      restrict his diet. Potassium & Magnesium levels will be checked on
      blood workup & if fine, I will continue to fill his gel caps with
      powdered Tumil-K. B vitamins are covered by both the Standard
      Process Feline Cardiac Support & Feline Missing Link. I will also
      continue to give Bob CoQ10 & antioxidants. Bob yelled the entire 20
      minutes to the clinic in the car, then when we had to wait 2 hours
      in the exam room due to 2 emergencies that came in, he stretched out
      on the towel covered exam table & went to sleep. Bob talked much
      quieter on the way home, but I see he has relocated every pen,
      pencil & highlighter I had on the desk & counter to under the
      couch. He is now curled up & sleeping on his water bed & none the
      worse for the trip. Thank you all for your posts, hope some of this
      info helps. I will post the article when I find it & if anyone has
      any other requests regarding info from the medical library, I will
      be glad to look while I'm there. (I still have $5 on my library
      copy card at UC Irvine).

      Lots of Kitty Kisses,
      Myra & Bob
    • Susan
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2003
        --- Myra DeTate <mdetate@...> wrote:
        Dr. Moore spent
        > over an hour with
        > me going over all my questions regarding the
        > articles Susan
        > referenced "Nutritional modulation of cardiac
        > disease" & "Critical
        > Care in Cats" & the In Practice article. Although
        > he does not
        > personally suscribe to In Practice, he is asking the
        > many other vets
        > in the clinic to get the full text of the "Dietary
        > considerations in
        > cardiac disease" abstract. If he can't find a copy
        > on site, he will
        > give me the medical library where I can get a copy.

        Myra,

        When you find the article copy it and if needed I can
        OCR it, no reason for you to retype it. We will have
        to be careful regarding copyright, I think we will
        have to just email it to those who want to read it. I
        live close to the University of Cincinnati's Med.
        School but I'm not sure if they subscribe to vet
        periodicals. Anyone live near Ohio State? A lot of vet
        cardiologists come from or are associated with that
        school.

        Additionally, I asked
        > about Dr. Fox's
        > study & Dr. Moore said they are all waiting for it.

        Good to know they are aware of it.

        He was very interested in
        > the email from
        > Lynne Nelson Susan included as he knows & respects
        > her.

        I have found that vet's who have email addresses
        attached to their available articles on the internet
        will answer one email but rarely two :(

        We went
        > over the "Nutritional modulation of cardiac disease"
        > article page by
        > page, Weight
        > maintenance - Bob
        > lost 5 ounces since March. Dr. Moore said that they
        > had used the
        > Max Cal dry food from Eukanuba, but that it had been
        > discontinued.

        Very disappointing. Lots of cats are dry food junkies.
        I wonder if a letter writing campaign would help. I
        think most vets were not aware it existed.

        > He suggested I give Bob a premium kitten food as
        > snacks. He also
        > gave me a script for A/D to try to put some weight
        > back on. Bob is
        > getting enough omega-3, omega-6 & taurine from
        > Feline Missing Link,
        > but if I want to supplement additional taurine it
        > would not hurt.

        FYI my vet's receptionist called to relay the message
        that my vet gave the OK for raw baby clams for Rudy
        but he is asymptomatic. I looked up iodine content and
        it s comparable to chicken. Seaweed is off the chart
        for iodine as are snacks like tortilla chips.

        > As long as Bob does not have pleural effusion or
        > fluid retention of
        > any kind, he does not see the need to limit sodium
        > intake or
        > restrict his diet.

        I will also
        > continue to give Bob CoQ10 & antioxidants.

        I looked up food sources of CoQ10 and organ meats are
        high in CoQ10. Has anyone had luck feeding raw organ
        meats or know of any reason not to feed organ meats? I
        am trying to find food sources of nutrients as I don't
        want to stress Rudy by pilling anything larger than
        1/2 aspirin.

        Susan

        =====

        http://sbc.yahoo.com