Re: [feline-heart] Now it's Wendy....

  • ne woods
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 29, 2000
      You can only use that for two days after you open it,,,but electrolytes
      can't hurt

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 29, 2000
          Perhaps a phone call to the vet may be helpful. Sometimes things seem
          harmless enough in a well kitty, but may not be good for a sick kitty.
          Would the pedialyte be high in salt for example, and therefore not so good
          for a heart problem? I am no expert of course, but I never give anything to
          my cats unless I check with a vet first. Though mind you some of my vet
          experiences recently are no cause for trust in vets! I would check with a
          vet just to make sure.

          http://www.geocities.com/vaugerinos/
          (Sachie's tribute page, and photos of Sachie and Pebbles.)

          ----------
          > From: J. Z. <filmgeek55@...>
          > To: feline-heart@egroups.com
          > Subject: [feline-heart] Now it's Wendy....
          > Date: Saturday, 30 December , 2000 12:25
          >
          > On December 10, as you all know, we lost our 14-1/2 year old Oliver. He
          had
          > battled hypertrophic cardiomyopathy with congestive heart failure for a
          > year...and it was his kidneys that gave out.
          >
          > Now, three weeks later, our 15-1/2 year old Wendy is headed down the same

          > path. We've known for a year that her kidneys were starting to fail, and
          in
          > the last few months she's gotten very "old" looking, and after Ollie died

          > (and she'd hated him all these years) she went off her food just a bit,
          but
          > otherwise seemed OK. Now she's hardly eating at all, sleeping most of the

          > time. She is still drinking, which is good, because Ollie had stopped
          > drinking water in his last days.
          >
          > I was wondering...I have some Pedialyte because my new adoptee kitty
          (with
          > whom Wendy has had NO problems) who didn't eat or drink for a couple of
          > days, and the shelter suggested I give her some of that. New Kitty is
          doing
          > much better -- eating, drinking, peeing -- but still hiding. However, I'm

          > starting to feel confident that she'll come out eventually. Funny....I
          > adopted her so that Wendy would have a cat she could get along with, and
          now
          > it looks like we're going to lose Wendy soon.
          >
          > Should I give Wendy some of this Pedialyte in her water? Would that help
          her
          > be more comfortable? We are having a blizzard tomorrow and I can't get
          her
          > to the vet.
          >
          > She is old, and I know there's not much I can do, and my husband just got

          > laid off so I can't go running to the vet all the time. I just want to
          keep
          > Wendy comfortable. Any suggestions?

        • peggy baldwin
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2001