Re: Deaf White Cat

  • brunobaby@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 25, 2000
      Welcome, Beth!

      You wrote:

      > Beethoven's eyes are amber, not blue. Amber-eyed cats are in a
      >smaller percentile for deafness than the blue-eyed cats.

      Our yellow-eyed white, Phoebe, is deaf. She's hyper-t but doesn't have
      HCM.

      Her littermate, Pongo, is an odd-eyed white whose hearing is fine. He
      was diagnosed with HCM in July of 1999. He's also a gentle giant --
      with sort of a lanky Siamese look -- and also very fond of his food.
      His lack of appetite was our indication that something was wrong, so we
      brought him to the vet who found a "gallop" heartbeat.

      We've been able to maintain him since then, with only some gradual
      progression of the disease. Both cats are 16 years old and frisky as
      I'm writing this. Then again, it's 14 degrees in NYC and everyone is
      very frisky right now.

      --Melinda