Kippurr

  • Debbie Raikes-May
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 18, 2003
      Hi everyone

      Just got Kippurr back from the vets - she is doing fine. She had two teeth taken out. One had a root which had grown FICE INCHES into her sinus cavity and had twined itself round the cavity as it worked loose from the gum. No wonder she was in pain and had had so many 'colds'. I had no idea this could happen.
      She is very wobbly on her legs and had a bad nosebleed and sure isn't speaking to me - but things will feel much better for her now. Did anyone else know teeth could do this! I had no idea at all.
      Love
      Debbie

    • pegfrench6
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 18, 2003
        I know sometimes when I hace a toothache it "feels "like its in my
        sinus. Peg

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie Raikes-May"
        <debbie.raikesmay@d...> wrote:
        > Hi everyone
        >
        > Just got Kippurr back from the vets - she is doing fine. She had
        two teeth taken out. One had a root which had grown FICE INCHES into
        her sinus cavity and had twined itself round the cavity as it worked
        loose from the gum. No wonder she was in pain and had had so
        many 'colds'. I had no idea this could happen.
        > She is very wobbly on her legs and had a bad nosebleed and sure
        isn't speaking to me - but things will feel much better for her now.
        Did anyone else know teeth could do this! I had no idea at all.
        > Love
        > Debbie

      • Debbie Raikes-May
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 20, 2003
          Dear Everyone
          What a manic day.
          Kippurr was so ill and just lying there open mouthed panting and barely moving, eyes glazed..that I INSISTED Kate came back.
          The minute she saw here she said (cheerfully) 'Yep. I know what it is. 1 in 50,000 have this type reaction to the antidote to the sedative. So her body has not accepted she is not sedated and still acts as if it is'.
          THAT is why she was just 'freezing' and looked 'drunk'.
          I thought she had either thrown a clot or had a brain blood vessel burst.

          Kate said she would never use this combo again and she is dead right she won't as I am going to look for another vet now.
          I get the feeling they think I am a neurotic woman with too much money who wastes it on her cats (they are a large animal practice really)
          Tonight K is eating and she will be on Pred now for pretty much ever as the x ray showed her two discs are worn and thin and have a bony growth on them which causes pain.

          Nevertheless, tonight Twig and she chased up the ladder to the loft of the barn and are busy mousing. Twig flushes them out and Kippurr, in true Treacle tradition, sits on them.
          And once Kippurr sits on you, you stay down, believe me.
          Thanks so much for all your good wishes. She still has to have her scan and ultrasound but hopefully there will be no heat issues
          Lots of love
          Debbiex(who goes to the USA day after tomorrow!)

        • Debbie Raikes-May
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 11, 2003
            Kippurr goes to the cardios tomorrow for her screen to see if she is developing the heart condition which killed her twin sister, Treacle.
            Please ,please keep your fingers and paws crossed. I don't want to lose her so soon. At all, really. She is 16 and the best ginger torty ever. I don't think Treacle wants to share heaven just yet.
            Love
            Debbie

          • Debbie Raikes-May
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 12, 2003
              Kippurr's visit to the vets for screening resulted in a diagnosis of HCM, she has a 2-3 murmur, slight enlargement of heart. She also has a cataract in each eye, one on front and one on back. Vet thinks she may have FIP but bloods were too fatty to test there as she had eaten so they have to go to a different lab, also a poss it is thyroid.
              Her back problem is only tiny! And that is the one I was most worried about.

              Treacle died two months ago today. I can't believe I am back in the same state of despair. Ben is so cheerful I oculd kill him 'It's not so bad'/'It's early stages' etc etc
              I don't think I can do all this again.

              Really can't believe we are so unlucky twice. Two weeks ago not a trace of a murmur.
              Does anyone have any insight into this FIP thing or cataracts?
              She is now on 1/4 Atenelol a day...what does this drug do?
              THanks
              Love
              Debbie

            • brinkett
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 12, 2003
                Debbie,

                Sorry to hear about Kippurr - but at least you've caught it early
                (not much consolation, I know).

                Why does the vet think she might have FIP? Be *extremely* careful
                about FIP tests. Too many cats have been unnecessarily euthanized
                due to dubious FIP testing. The bottom line is that blood tests for
                FIP cannot give a definite diagnosis - all they can really show is
                whether the cat has been exposed to a coronavirus, and most cats
                have been.

                Please look at the following sites for FIP information, and pay
                special attention to the discussion of FIP testing and diagnosis:

                http://web.vet.cornell.edu/public/fhc/fip.html
                http://www.fabcats.org/is17.html

                (and many others if you google on FIP)

                One of our cats died of FIP (confirmed on autopsy) in January of
                this year so I've done a lot of research and have first hand
                experience with it, unfortunately.

                Atenolol - it's a beta blocker that slows/regulates the heart beat.

                Sarah.

                <debbie.raikesmay@d...> wrote:
                > Kippurr's visit to the vets for screening resulted in a diagnosis
                of HCM, she has a 2-3 murmur, slight enlargement of heart. She also
                has a cataract in each eye, one on front and one on back. Vet thinks
                she may have FIP but bloods were too fatty to test there as she had
                eaten so they have to go to a different lab, also a poss it is
                thyroid.
                > Her back problem is only tiny! And that is the one I was most
                worried about.

                > Treacle died two months ago today. I can't believe I am back in
                the same state of despair. Ben is so cheerful I oculd kill him 'It's
                not so bad'/'It's early stages' etc etc
                > I don't think I can do all this again.
                >
                > Really can't believe we are so unlucky twice. Two weeks ago not a
                trace of a murmur.
                > Does anyone have any insight into this FIP thing or cataracts?
                > She is now on 1/4 Atenelol a day...what does this drug do?
                > THanks
                > Love
                > Debbie

              • zanth_99
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 12, 2003
                  Debbie,

                  Belive me, I feel your pain. I don't know much about anything else
                  in your post, but Atenelol is a beta blocker, it is used to lower
                  blood pressure and slow down the heart rate...Boo Kitty went on it a
                  little over a week ago, 1/4 for 4 days, then 1/2 ea day from here
                  out. She is reacting very well to it.

                  Sandy & Boo Kitty

                  > She is now on 1/4 Atenelol a day...what does this drug do?
                  > THanks
                  > Love
                  > Debbie

                • Debbie Raikes-May
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 18, 2003
                    I have just had an email from a lady on the site saying that a white blood count which is low (Kippurr) usually means cancer!!! I am beside myself !!!" IS this true?????
                    Debbie

                  • diane
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 18, 2003
                      Actually a low white blood count can be an effect of chemo. Don't
                      know if it really indicates cancer only but there is obviously
                      something going on.

                      Diane

                      >I have just had an email from a lady on the site saying that a white
                      >blood count which is low (Kippurr) usually means cancer!!! I am
                      >beside myself !!!" IS this true?????
                      >Debbie
                    • Debbie Raikes-May
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 7, 2003
                        Dear All
                        Kippurr had an interim check up by our vet today before her scan at the cardios on the 28th November and her breathing and blood pressure are normal: her heart rate is 98! That is down from the 120 it was at last time which in turn was down from the 200 when the murmur was first noticed.
                        She is only on one eighth of Atenelol a day!
                        I am so so grateful to all of you who advised us to have her checked as Treacle died of HCM (her sister) Had I NOT (which I was tempted in case it was bad news-talk about ostrich in the sand) she would undoubtedly have been very sick by now.
                        Thanks so much
                        Love
                        Debbie and Kippurrrr (I feel GOOD....)

                      • Debbie Raikes-May
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 24, 2003
                          Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Kippurr was found to have a very sore throat when the vet examined her this morning.Her temp was normal though.
                          She had some antibiotics which we hope will help short term
                          and as she is going for a full scan this Friday at the cardiologists, while she is sedated he will have a look with an endoscope.
                          I hope it is only a sore throat.
                          If it was something more serious, would other symptoms be visible?
                          She is eating okay and not drinking excessively.
                          Thanks-
                          Debbie

                        • Debbie Raikes-May
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 27, 2003
                            Happy Thanksgiving to you all.
                            Could you, please spare a thought for Kippurr who will be making the long trip to the cardiologists at 11.30am UK time tomorrow- Friday. She and I will be there all day.
                            Please pray her numbers are good and the heart hasn't thickened any.Also they they are able to operate on her cataracts.
                            Thank you very much from a very cold Britain.
                            Debbie

                          • elanonuevo@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 28, 2003
                              In a message dated 11/28/2003 8:57:37 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                              feline-heart@yahoogroups.com writes:
                              Please pray her numbers are good and the heart hasn't thickened any.Also they
                              they are able to operate on her cataracts.
                              Thank you very much from a very cold Britain.
                              Debbie, prayers and wonderful thoughts all day long for Kippurr. Keep us
                              posted! It's cold and snowy here in Ohio too, and so I'll be hoping that your
                              roads stay in wonderful condition all day! Let us know how it went.

                              Tia (and Oz)

                            • Debbie Raikes-May
                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 5, 2004
                                Hi everyone
                                We got home a few hours ago with Kippurr after her scan (which was what today was to be about)- however after Mr Fisher had examined her, he said there was no point scanning her today - leave it another 3 months as her murmur was still at a 1-2, heart rate 110 even when stressed and she had gained weight and was playing !!!
                                We were so chuffed about this.
                                He feels the big dose of Taurine I give her every day (500mg) will have contributed to her overall better condition and her eyesight. We saw the ophtlmologist second and he confirmed there has been no further deterioration in her eyesight (while he was holding at her , a blackbird flew past the window and she nearly garroted him in her haste to jump at the window!!)
                                He has put her on Pred eyedrops 3 times a day (thank you for that!!) as these will help reduce the inflammation at the back of her eye and slow even more the inevitable progress of the blindness. As she will be 17 in the Summer, he said it would take 5 or 6 years for her to lose her sight totally, if then - so no real need for the stress of surgery providing she is happy with her life (and she seems to be).
                                So all in all, we had a very good day - and are very relieved we heeded the advice of all you friends after Treacle died, in having her sister scanned. If we hadn't, they think she would be at a 5 or 6 murmur now - so best thing we ever did.

                                Early bed for us all tonight and cooked chicken for Madam Kippurr (after the eyedrops!!)
                                Much love and thanks-
                                Debbie