New to Group

  • Beth Argall
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 24, 2000
      Merry Christmas to everyone!

      I am new to the group and would like to introduce myself and my kitty,
      Beethoven.

      Beethoven is a five year old, long haired, deaf, white cat who was diagnosed
      with HCM last Tuesday by his local vet. We have an appointment to see a
      cardiologist on January 4th to run a battery of tests and develop his
      treatment plan. Hyperthyroidism has been ruled out and his X-ray shows a
      minor enlargement of the heart; blood test results are abnormal in both BUN
      and Creatinine.

      I understand that HCM can be genetic and Maine Coon and Ragdoll cats are prone
      to it. Beethoven's ancestry is unknown as he was found in Santiago Chile by a
      colleague of mine who was working there at the time. Is anyone aware of a
      link to deafness?

      Beethoven and I live in Arlington Heights, Illinois.

      Beth Argall and Beethoven

    • catrescueofmd@mindspring.com
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 24, 2000
        > I am new to the group and would like to introduce myself and my
        kitty,
        > Beethoven.

        You have a Beethoven? Cat Rescue of Maryland (aka my expensive
        hobby) is dedicated to the memory of my beloved Beethoven (who was a
        black girl who also had HCM).

        > cardiologist on January 4th to run a battery of tests and develop s
        > treatment plan. Hyperthyroidism has been ruled out and his X-ray
        shows a> minor enlargement of the heart; blood test results are
        abnormal in both BUN> and Creatinine.
        > colleague of mine who was working there at the time. Is anyone
        aware of a
        > link to deafness?

        That isn't something I've heard. I"ll be interested to see if anyone
        else has. What test did they do for the hyperthyroidism? I had one
        cat that needed a T-3 suppression test before the hyperthyroidism was
        picked up - everyone was convinced that she has hyperthyroid and it
        was worsening her heart condition but we weren't picking it up on the
        standard tests.

        Maryanne
      • Beth Argall
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 24, 2000
          Thank you everyone for your kind wishes and relevant questions. As you are
          much more familiar with this condition than I am, I am fortunate to be able to
          leverage off of your experience.

          Beth

          This is a joint response to Helen and Maryann.

          Maryann,

          It was a standard blood test which came back on the low side of normal.
          Beethoven received his name because of his deafness. He isn't musical but he
          does like to turn my computer on which means that keyboards play a big part in
          his life.

          Beth

          Helen wrote:

          > Hi Beth and Beethoven and welcome, though sorry you have to be here. What
          > levels are the BUN and crea, and are you treating them prior to seeing the
          > cardiologist?
          >
          > Helen

          His BUN is 36.1 and Creatinine is 5.38 (both mg/dl). Until we see the
          cardiologist, we are leaving things as is.

          Beth

        • Mauvaise
          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 28 6:08 AM
            Hello everyone!

            Another of your members, Helen, recommended I join this list. I'm already on the CRF list, but my cat, Harley, has Hypertrophic (?sp) cardio-myopathy. Unfortunately, we also discovered he has CRF at the same time. His vet put him on atenelol once a day (1/4 pill). After a month we had a follow up blood test and his kidneys were a little worse but not seriously so. That was on July 27th. This past Saturday (Aug 24th) I took Harley back to the vet because he appeared to have lost even more weight and he wasn't eating his food (dry Hills K/D).

            His BUN and CREAT were up even more from his last test in July, he had lost a pound in a month, and he was a bit dehydrated. They gave him some Sub-Q fluids and ran his blood through the lab for a double check. The Doctor called me yesterday and we discussed a course of treatment. I mentioned that I had been doing some research on the internet and got her to fax the two latest blood test results. We decided to take him off the heart meds for a month and give him Sub-Q fluids twice a week, then retest at the end of Sept. I'm not sure if this is the correct course of action, but it does appear that his kidneys were worsening this past month and he was losing more weight while on the atenelol. It seems that it's going to be quite an interesting struggle to find out the best treatment for him without causing anymore damage to either his heart or kidneys.

            I'm going to wrap this up here or I'm going to start rambling .. any advice would be very welcome.

            Thank you,

            Tanja, Harley, and (his sister/littermate) Tawney.

          • xxemanuellexx
            Message 5 of 25 , Aug 28 1:24 PM
              Hello there!

              Sorry to hear about your cat's CRF and HCM. I'm new to this list
              too, with an HCM cat who has some lethargy right now that isn't
              explained by his HCM at this point.

              Keep us posted on your kitty's progress and treatment!

              best,

              --e.
            • Michael Hardesty
              Message 6 of 25 , Aug 28 1:30 PM
                Best wishes to you. Hope Harley
                recovers fully.
                --- Mauvaise <mauvaise@...> wrote:
                > Hello everyone!
                >
                > Another of your members, Helen, recommended I join
                > this list. I'm already on the CRF list, but my cat,
                > Harley, has Hypertrophic (?sp) cardio-myopathy.
                > Unfortunately, we also discovered he has CRF at the
                > same time. His vet put him on atenelol once a day
                > (1/4 pill). After a month we had a follow up blood
                > test and his kidneys were a little worse but not
                > seriously so. That was on July 27th. This past
                > Saturday (Aug 24th) I took Harley back to the vet
                > because he appeared to have lost even more weight
                > and he wasn't eating his food (dry Hills K/D).
                >
                > His BUN and CREAT were up even more from his last
                > test in July, he had lost a pound in a month, and he
                > was a bit dehydrated. They gave him some Sub-Q
                > fluids and ran his blood through the lab for a
                > double check. The Doctor called me yesterday and we
                > discussed a course of treatment. I mentioned that I
                > had been doing some research on the internet and got
                > her to fax the two latest blood test results. We
                > decided to take him off the heart meds for a month
                > and give him Sub-Q fluids twice a week, then retest
                > at the end of Sept. I'm not sure if this is the
                > correct course of action, but it does appear that
                > his kidneys were worsening this past month and he
                > was losing more weight while on the atenelol. It
                > seems that it's going to be quite an interesting
                > struggle to find out the best treatment for him
                > without causing anymore damage to either his heart
                > or kidneys.
                >
                > I'm going to wrap this up here or I'm going to start
                > rambling .. any advice would be very welcome.
                >
                > Thank you,
                >
                > Tanja, Harley, and (his sister/littermate) Tawney.

                > removed]

                http://finance.yahoo.com
              • targa66
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 4, 2002
                  Hi all - I'm new to this newsgroups thing, so I was thrilled to find
                  one dealing with this subject. Just over two weeks ago, I lost my
                  wonderful cat friend of 17 years, Targa, to a blood clot in the aorta
                  leading to his back legs (I think it's referred to as a "saddle
                  thrombus"). I took my other cat, Pacino (13 yrs. old), to the vet
                  this weekend for an overdue checkup & found he has a murmur and
                  a "slightly" enlarged heart. I've got an echo scheduled for Pacino
                  this Fri., so I'm crossing my fingers & saying my prayers. The info
                  & support on this group is great - I'll be checking in often.
                • stxchck
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 4, 2002
                    The people on the board are great. My cat was just diagnosed two
                    weeks ago, he's only 1 yr old and these guys have been so good about
                    answering my millions of questions and sending me links to resources.
                    --- In feline-heart@y..., "targa66" <sgorove@g...> wrote:
                    > Hi all - I'm new to this newsgroups thing, so I was thrilled to
                    find
                    > one dealing with this subject. Just over two weeks ago, I lost my
                    > wonderful cat friend of 17 years, Targa, to a blood clot in the
                    aorta
                    > leading to his back legs (I think it's referred to as a "saddle
                    > thrombus"). I took my other cat, Pacino (13 yrs. old), to the vet
                    > this weekend for an overdue checkup & found he has a murmur and
                    > a "slightly" enlarged heart. I've got an echo scheduled for Pacino
                    > this Fri., so I'm crossing my fingers & saying my prayers. The
                    info
                    > & support on this group is great - I'll be checking in often.
                  • Karen LeBlanc
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 4, 2002
                      Welcome to the group. Sorry to hear about the loss of your Targa. I will
                      be hoping for good news on Pacino this Friday.
                      -Karen
                      Hi all - I'm new to this newsgroups thing, so I was thrilled to find
                      one dealing with this subject. Just over two weeks ago, I lost my
                      wonderful cat friend of 17 years, Targa, to a blood clot in the aorta
                      leading to his back legs (I think it's referred to as a "saddle
                      thrombus"). I took my other cat, Pacino (13 yrs. old), to the vet
                      this weekend for an overdue checkup & found he has a murmur and
                      a "slightly" enlarged heart. I've got an echo scheduled for Pacino
                      this Fri., so I'm crossing my fingers & saying my prayers. The info
                      & support on this group is great - I'll be checking in often.

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    • christyandpresh
                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 4, 2002
                        So sorry to hear that you lost Targa. My heart goes out to you.

                        Please keep me posted on Pacino's test results.
                        Welcome to the group. This is a great bunch of people.

                        Christy & Precious

                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 4, 2002
                          Thanks to all for the welcomes and the condolences for my Targa. I'm
                          not sure how long it will take to get Pacino's results from the
                          echocardiogram - needless to say, I just really want to know Pacino's
                          condition ASAP. I'll definitely post the minute I get info - I
                          expect I'll have a lot of questions, and I'm so glad to have found
                          this group to help answer them!
                          -Shelly

                          --- In feline-heart@y..., "christyandpresh" <christyandpresh@y...>
                          wrote:
                          > So sorry to hear that you lost Targa. My heart goes out to you.
                          >
                          > Please keep me posted on Pacino's test results.
                          > Welcome to the group. This is a great bunch of people.
                          >
                          > Christy & Precious
                          >

                          > --- In feline-heart@y..., "targa66" <sgorove@g...> wrote:
                          > > Hi all - I'm new to this newsgroups thing, so I was thrilled to
                          > find
                          > > one dealing with this subject. Just over two weeks ago, I lost
                          my
                          > > wonderful cat friend of 17 years, Targa, to a blood clot in the
                          > aorta
                          > > leading to his back legs (I think it's referred to as a "saddle
                          > > thrombus"). I took my other cat, Pacino (13 yrs. old), to the
                          vet
                          > > this weekend for an overdue checkup & found he has a murmur and
                          > > a "slightly" enlarged heart. I've got an echo scheduled for
                          Pacino
                          > > this Fri., so I'm crossing my fingers & saying my prayers. The
                          > info
                          > > & support on this group is great - I'll be checking in often.
                        • castawaycritters
                          Message 12 of 25 , Mar 25, 2003
                            I am new to this group - my cat Olivia was just diagnosed with
                            cardiomyopathy. She did have problems breathing and had fluid on the
                            lungs. They are recommending I bring her home to reduce stress, but
                            indicated the following:

                            1. She is at risk of dying a sudden death at any moment.
                            2. It is perhaps because she did not get enough taurine. The cat is
                            very thin and has not eaten well all her life - she only weighs 6
                            pounds. They are perscibing a taurine supplement. I saw Olivia eat
                            dry catfood, but I did supplement with other things because I could
                            not get her to eat. The additional food was added when she had an
                            episode at one point where she passed out and had to be taken to the
                            vet - apparently because of not eating. Now, I wonder if there was a
                            problem with her heart then.
                            3. The medications may keep her alive anywhere from 3 days to a
                            month.

                            They did send an ultrasound to a cardiologist to read to get these
                            results. At this point, I just feel really afraid and guilty like I
                            have not taken good care of her. Boy, this is miserable.

                            Barb
                          • Debbie Raikes-May
                            Message 13 of 25 , Mar 25, 2003
                              Dear Barb
                              This is not your fault. You will hear similar stories from many of us. I only joined this group three weeks ago. My cat Treacle, is 15. She too is diagnosed with HCM and she has bad arthritis.
                              The thing with cats is...........they don't do pain. They are able to cover up for ages that there is anything wrong and it isn't until it is SOOOOO obvious that you can see anything. For me, it was when Treacle collapsed one evening and had a sort of fit. I though she had been poisoned but she had gone from a grade 1 heart murmur to a grade 4 in a week ( 1 is quite usual for an old cat)........she wasn't even being checked out for heart disease, she was being treated for arthritis and it wasn't until she threw this wobbler that we knew anything about it.

                              No one could be a more vigilant owner than me...she and her sister have pretty much been my life for the past 15 years and I notice every cough, sneeze, whisker out of place.
                              And I didn't know a thing.

                              So I understand JUST how you feel.

                              I too was told she could have an attack and die any minute (true - but then, on balance, so could a lot of us!) I too was told anything from three days to three years!! This sort of info data is more to cover the Vet I have found, than to help the owner.
                              Three weeks later Treacle is eating again (she lost eight pounds after she had a fight with a feral which resulted in septic arthritis and we think the arthritis drugs triggered the heart problem) but to get her to eat like you, I had to supplement her food, I gave her prawns, chicken breast, liver in small amounts....figuring if she was going to die anyway I wanted her quality of life to be high and she wasn't happy just eating dry food.

                              I also found a homeopathic vet who prescribed flower and herbal essences to support her digestive system against the drugs which are a bit abrasive...HyperCard 10 and Prednisolone. He practices online in the UK and I can give you his email but if you are in the USA you probably have someone there of your own?

                              The main thing I have found is to keep asking for the data and don't get fobbed off. How old is your cat? Above all, don't panic if you can help....it is a scary disease but the good thing is that it is evident now, rather than being a silent killer and there are things available which can prolong life in a happy format...no guarantees about how long but not even us humans have that.

                              Keep posting as this site is a tremendous source of data and help.............keep asking your vet if you are worried over anything. When do you next go to the cardiologist? Above all it is NOT your fault. It is sadly, just the luck of the draw and no more than that.
                              Best wishes
                              Debbie and Treacle and Kippurr

                              Message 14 of 25 , Mar 25, 2003
                                Barb,

                                The good news is that if it is a taurine deficiency
                                cardiomyopathy, then it is reversible. Taurine
                                deficiency cardiomyopathy is usually dilated rather
                                than hypertrophic. Don't feel bad about not knowing
                                about the taurine requirement, unless you've read
                                about cat cardiology it's not something the average
                                person knows about.

                                Susan

                                http://platinum.yahoo.com
                              • castawaycritters@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 25 , Mar 25, 2003
                                  If it is taurine deficiency, how long would it be before I would see results?
                                  They are not sure about this so I am wondering how I would know if the
                                  supplement was having a positive effect.

                                  Thanks,
                                  Barb

                                • Jonathan Rosenberg
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Mar 25, 2003
                                    Barb,

                                    I am so sorry that you need to be here & I'm sorry to hear about Olivia's
                                    condition.

                                    A few thoughts:

                                    1) You should know more when you get the cardiologist's report. I believe that
                                    having a cardiologist read her ultrasound is the best diagnostic tool there is.

                                    2) It is rare for cats to be taurine-deficient today because all commercial cat
                                    food has plenty of taurine. That said, it does happen & it can't hurt to
                                    supplement with taurine.

                                    I believe that the cardiologist should be able to tell you more about this. In
                                    particular, I believe that there is a particular heart shape that is indicative
                                    of taurine-deficiency.

                                    3) As far as dying a sudden death ... well, the truth is that every living thing
                                    lives with that possibility. Yes, Olivia's situation may be more precarious,
                                    but that's only a guess & statistics.

                                    4) Don't feel guilty. It's so easy to do & we all do it. But it's a complete
                                    waste of time.

                                    --
                                    Jonathan Rosenberg
                                    Tabby (RB), Lynx (RB), Licorice, Tigger,

                                  • bcowell
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Mar 25, 2003
                                      Dear Barb,
                                      Don't feel so bad about yourself, you were not to know that Olivia
                                      needed additional taurine, it's not well-known that if a cat doesn't
                                      eat "catfood" then they need a supplement. It may not be to blame
                                      anyway, she may have developed a heart problem anyway. Heart disease
                                      is not fair and it is not logical.
                                      I know it is frustrating to hear that Olivia might die suddenly, but
                                      remember that there is no way the vet can tell the future. Her heart
                                      is not well and so could fail. But you are doing all you can for her,
                                      and all you can do is try and help her now you know what the problem
                                      is.
                                      Did they prescribe medication for the fluid on the lungs? That should
                                      help her feel better.
                                      The taurine supplement will likely take a few months to show any
                                      improvement in the heart, but if this is what is causing the
                                      cardiomyopathy you are lucky. This type seems to be reversible and so
                                      it can be helped! I think you should see improvement sooner than
                                      months though, but I am sure the cardiologist could give you a better
                                      idea of when you could expect.
                                      My best wishes to you and Olivia!
                                      Brigitte

                                      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "castawaycritters"
                                      <castawaycritters@a...> wrote:
                                      > I am new to this group - my cat Olivia was just diagnosed with
                                      > cardiomyopathy. She did have problems breathing and had fluid on
                                      the
                                      > lungs. They are recommending I bring her home to reduce stress,
                                      but
                                      > indicated the following:
                                      >
                                      > 1. She is at risk of dying a sudden death at any moment.
                                      > 2. It is perhaps because she did not get enough taurine. The cat
                                      is
                                      > very thin and has not eaten well all her life - she only weighs 6
                                      > pounds. They are perscibing a taurine supplement. I saw Olivia
                                      eat
                                      > dry catfood, but I did supplement with other things because I could
                                      > not get her to eat. The additional food was added when she had an
                                      > episode at one point where she passed out and had to be taken to
                                      the
                                      > vet - apparently because of not eating. Now, I wonder if there was
                                      > problem with her heart then.
                                      > 3. The medications may keep her alive anywhere from 3 days to a
                                      > month.
                                      >
                                      > They did send an ultrasound to a cardiologist to read to get these
                                      > results. At this point, I just feel really afraid and guilty like
                                      > have not taken good care of her. Boy, this is miserable.
                                      >
                                      > Barb
                                    • Sheila Monti

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Mar 25, 2003
                                          Olivia is 8. It does give me some hope to know that some cats make it
                                          through - though right now I am having trouble making it through the work day
                                          where I have to be around people a lot. The words "3 days to one month at
                                          best" continue to haunt me. Maybe once I start doing something about the
                                          problem, I will feel better. It sounded like the remote cardiologist report
                                          wasn't as detailed as what you folks are talking about by what my vet said.
                                          I am thinking that maybe I should take her to a specialist if she makes it
                                          through the next couple of days and starts eating again. Though it has never
                                          been easy to get her to eat anything under the best of circumstances. So, I
                                          am very worried about it.

                                          I am going to attempt to get myself together and take one moment at a time.
                                          I haven't felt this bad since one of my own sybs died.

                                          Thanks for your supportive words. It does help.

                                          Barb

                                        • Susan
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Mar 25, 2003
                                            --- castawaycritters@... wrote:

                                            > I am thinking that maybe I should take her to a
                                            > specialist if she makes it
                                            > through the next couple of days and starts eating
                                            > again. Though it has never
                                            > been easy to get her to eat anything under the best
                                            > of circumstances. So, I
                                            > am very worried about it.

                                            Ask your vet for some Hills Science Diet AD and place
                                            a dab on her front paw. If she is grooming she should
                                            lick it off. AD is pecifically for sick and anorectic
                                            cats. I found the following article on VIN. It's meant
                                            for vets so can be hard to understand but there are
                                            some good suggestions.

                                            http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB/Proceedings/PR05000/PR00168.htm

                                            Susan

                                            =====

                                            http://platinum.yahoo.com
                                          • Ioana & Gabriel
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Apr 20, 2011
                                              Hello all!

                                              I'm very new to this group, and have read quite a few of the postings. My baby Piperus, has been diagnosed with moderate Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy, with normal blood pressure. (All this while our other baby, Pepe, was diagnosed with Chronic Renal Failure, and struggled. Unfortunately, we lost Pepe early Sunday morning.)
                                              Still grieving, I decided to join this group to ensure we do as much as we can for Piperus.
                                              The vet has been very helpful and explained the condition, and she prescribed Atenolol once a day, recommending a check up in three months.

                                              My questions to you are:
                                              - what should I be asking the vet on our next visit?
                                              - Piperus is skittish and easily startled by noises, car rides and vet visits are especially stressful to him. Would you recommend home visits or light sedative (Valium)? How would it interfere with Atenolol?
                                              - What other supplemments did you find useful?
                                              - He is a bit overweight (18 lbs w/ large frame), and we are encouraging more activity in the yard, is weight a contributor?
                                              - What signs should I be on the lookout for?

                                              Anyway, I'll be following the messages. All the best to you and your kitties!

                                              Ioana
                                            • Ioana Boie
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Apr 20, 2011
                                                Hi Suze,

                                                Thank you for your warm welcome!
                                                I'm sorry to hear about your two babies, I hope they are well and happy as long
                                                as possible.
                                                Piperus is 10 years old, and we adopted him from Italy, from someone who found
                                                his pregnant mommy on the streets. Piperus has always been very skittish, but
                                                sweet once he gets used to people's presence and voices. We have moved a lot,
                                                about 8 times since we've had him, including once across the Atlantic, and then
                                                Florida to Texas. He has been getting more and more distressed with every move,
                                                so we are trying to stay put for a while now, and to offer him a little
                                                stability.
                                                Piperus is on Atenolol 6.25mg/ once daily, and a heart ultrasound has confirmed
                                                that his murmur was HCM.

                                                Hope this information provides you with a better picture. I also attached a
                                                picture of Piperus, our handsome sweet baby.

                                                Thank you all for the support and wish you and furry friends all the best!

                                                Ioana

                                                ________________________________

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Apr 21, 2011
                                                  I do believe that once a cat has heart disease they are more affected by stress. My cat Max did 8 round trips to mexico from San Francisco and he did fine (after the first one) with all of them. But, after the last 3 or 4, when he had the heart disease, I was noticing that he wasn't himself for about 2 months after the trip...I think it took him that long to recover from the stress of travel. He was a very mellow cat and never objected to whatever we put in front of him, but I think his system was compromised and he just had a harder time of bouncing back from a big trip, so you may be onto something. Good luck with your boy...Judi and Angel Max
                                                  PS: even for humans with heart disease, air travel is hard...the oxygen levels are not 100% of what we have on the ground and the heart has to work harder

                                                  To: suzewinn@...
                                                  CC: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Apr 21, 2011
                                                    I gotta agree.........simple things like giving a bath which never bothered Jinx before, seemed to stress him more and he was not himself for quite a while. Any change in routine also seemed to affect him.......

                                                    Cathy

                                                  • LorieAHuston@cs.com
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Apr 21, 2011
                                                      I definitely have to agree with that. We try to keep stress levels to a minimum with any cat with heart disease.

                                                      We're really just beginning to understand the profound effects that stress can have on our pets, even on healthy pets. And many people don't realize how even very simple things can be stressful for a cat...things like a change in his people's routines or work schedules, visitors in the house, rearranging furniture in the house, even seeing something disagreeable outside (whether that be another cat or some other type of animal or something that frightens them), all of those things are stressful for some cats. And what bothers one cat may not bother another one, so you really have to know your own cat's personality and normal routine to be able to notice the sometimes subtle changes that stress can cause in their behavior. Of course, sometimes the signs are not so subtle, such as when a cat decides to not use the litter box :)

                                                      Stress has even been linked to interstitial cystitis in cats. In other words, stress can cause urinary tract disease. Some veterinarians (and I agree with them) believe this type of condition is probably actually a systemic condition that affects the entire body but the symptoms that affect the urinary tract are more easily noticed than many of the other effects. So, it's not a huge reach to believe that stress can affect the heart, especially for a cat that already has heart disease.

                                                      Lorie Huston, DVM
                                                      Pet Health Care Gazette (http://www.pet-health-care-gazette.com)