Re: [FH] OT - advice on trapping/adopting a lone feral

  • Debbie Raikes-May
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2003
      f];q1 am a good person to answer this as we are in the middle of trapping ferals ourselves.

      1. Yes, use the trap. Much easier. However small they are they can inflict a lot of damage through a towel. We are also using large fishing nets - the sort on a pole - quite successfully!
      2. Take him to vets for a check up right away. If you start trying to tame him and he is hostile it might just be he has mites so best to get them sorted out and spayed or neutered right away
      3. If you can get Advantage on then do it. I found with Mama Felix that if I left one of my jumpers out in the yard, she slept on it regularly and it got her used to my scent.
      4. put the trap out in the yard for a few days before you bait it so that he gets used to seeing it wround and doesn't give it a wide berth.
      5. Early morning and dusk are the best times to trap (I have found)
      Huge good luck and let me know how you get onf];
      Debbie (who has now caught five!)