Re: horse chestnut herbal supplement

  • Steph
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2003
      Capsule form. Our holistic vet recommended 125mg/day for Gus. I
      had never heard of it. It doesn't work on demand like Lasix but can
      be beneficial over a period of time.
      -Steph

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Sally J.Smith"
      <sallymerlin@y...> wrote:
      > Hi Steph,
      >
      > Is this a flower remedy, a tincture or powdered plant product
      in
      > pill form or what? Sounds interesting....I'll ask around.
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Sally
    • Carol R.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 8, 2003
        Steph,

        Horse Chestnut is most commonly used for strenghtening the veins in
        the legs. I did a search, but didn't find anything on it having
        properties like lasix or anything to do with the heart. Here's one
        page I found that talked about it's application for vericose veins in
        the legs.

        http://www.vitaminusa.com/horchesseede.html

        If you're wanting to get rid of fluid and strengthen the heart, ask
        your holistic vet about using dandelion for the fluid and hawthorne
        for the strengthening the heart. I've been giving Sweetie the
        dandelion extract for 3 weeks now and haven't had any more fluid
        buildup so far, and last week added Hawthorne and her heart rate has
        gone down from 200 and above to around 160 to 180, and her gallop is
        less.

        There are also a few other herbs that are diuretics you could ask your
        vet about. Melissa (lemon balm), and cornsilk are both duiretic herbs,
        but don't use them without supervision. They're very potent.

        take care,
        Carol FritzyAngel and Sweetie
        Puddy Boo Punkie MeanMama and Chelsea

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Steph" <sschoff@e...> wrote:
        > Just wondering if anyone has had any experience w/ this supplement.
        > It is supposed to strengthen the walls of blood vessels as to aid in
        > decreasing fluid build up in the chest/lungs.

      • Steph
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 8, 2003
          Carol, thanks for the info. My vet told me about how people use it,
          too, for leg edema. I haven't started Gus on it yet and am not sure
          if I am going to. He is doing so well and I'm just afraid to add
          anything more. He's already on 2 diuretics. The vet said that
          hawthorne is very controversial with cats but ok w/ dogs and so we
          should not give it to Gus. I've read good things about it but am
          going w/ her advice. Gus is doing so well right now. I had called
          her just to 'check in' and see if she had any other suggestions. I
          am glad the dandelion is working so well for Sweetie. The vet had
          talked to us about that last summer but we would have to decr his
          lasix if we administer both. She didn't want to adjust his meds now
          because she said since he stable, it's best not to mess w/ the doses
          as his body may not adjust well to the change. She said their
          bodies can become somewhat dependent on the meds. I don't want to
          take any chances right now.
          Thank you again! Hugs to Sweetie!
          Take care,
          -Steph
          Gus & Louise
          http://www.gussielou.com
          ========
          Gus: Male DSH orange and white tabby, 12.9 lbs. Diagnosed 2/02 at 3-
          1/2 years of age
          with advanced HCM: grade 2/3 murmur. CHF diagnosis 4/03. Pleural
          effusion, severely enlarged LA, blood clot in LA,
          mitral valve regurgitation. 12.5 mg Atenolol, 15mg Lasix, 1.25mg
          Enalapril 2x/day; 6.25mg Spironolactone 1x/day administered orally.
          0.06cc Lovenox administered SQ 1x/day. Supplements: CoQ10, Taurine &
          multi-vitamin.