Re: horse chestnut herbal supplement

  • Sally J.Smith
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2003
      Hi Steph,

      Is this a flower remedy, a tincture or powdered plant product in
      pill form or what? Sounds interesting....I'll ask around.

      Cheers

      Sally

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Steph" <sschoff@e...> wrote:
      > Just wondering if anyone has had any experience w/ this supplement.

      > It is supposed to strengthen the walls of blood vessels as to aid in
      > decreasing fluid build up in the chest/lungs.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > -Steph
      > Gus & Louise
      > meet Gus the cat at
      > http://www.gussielou.com
      > ========
      > Gus: Male DSH orange and white tabby, 12.9 lbs. Diagnosed 2/02 at 3-
      > 1/2 years of age with advanced HCM: grade 2/3 murmur. CHF diagnosis
      > 4/03. Pleural effusion, severely enlarged LA, blood clot in LA,
      > mitral valve regurgitation. 12.5 mg Atenolol, 15mg Lasix, 1.25mg
      > Enalapril 2x/day; 6.25mg Spironolactone 1x/day administered orally.
      > 0.06cc Lovenox administered SQ 1x/day. Supplements: CoQ10, Taurine,

      > multi-vitamin.
    • Steph
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3, 2003
        Capsule form. Our holistic vet recommended 125mg/day for Gus. I
        had never heard of it. It doesn't work on demand like Lasix but can
        be beneficial over a period of time.
        -Steph

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Sally J.Smith"
        <sallymerlin@y...> wrote:
        > Hi Steph,
        >
        > Is this a flower remedy, a tincture or powdered plant product
        in
        > pill form or what? Sounds interesting....I'll ask around.
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > Sally
      • Carol R.
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 8, 2003
          Steph,

          Horse Chestnut is most commonly used for strenghtening the veins in
          the legs. I did a search, but didn't find anything on it having
          properties like lasix or anything to do with the heart. Here's one
          page I found that talked about it's application for vericose veins in
          the legs.

          http://www.vitaminusa.com/horchesseede.html

          If you're wanting to get rid of fluid and strengthen the heart, ask
          your holistic vet about using dandelion for the fluid and hawthorne
          for the strengthening the heart. I've been giving Sweetie the
          dandelion extract for 3 weeks now and haven't had any more fluid
          buildup so far, and last week added Hawthorne and her heart rate has
          gone down from 200 and above to around 160 to 180, and her gallop is
          less.

          There are also a few other herbs that are diuretics you could ask your
          vet about. Melissa (lemon balm), and cornsilk are both duiretic herbs,
          but don't use them without supervision. They're very potent.

          take care,
          Carol FritzyAngel and Sweetie
          Puddy Boo Punkie MeanMama and Chelsea

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 8, 2003
            Carol, thanks for the info. My vet told me about how people use it,
            too, for leg edema. I haven't started Gus on it yet and am not sure
            if I am going to. He is doing so well and I'm just afraid to add
            anything more. He's already on 2 diuretics. The vet said that
            hawthorne is very controversial with cats but ok w/ dogs and so we
            should not give it to Gus. I've read good things about it but am
            going w/ her advice. Gus is doing so well right now. I had called
            her just to 'check in' and see if she had any other suggestions. I
            am glad the dandelion is working so well for Sweetie. The vet had
            talked to us about that last summer but we would have to decr his
            lasix if we administer both. She didn't want to adjust his meds now
            because she said since he stable, it's best not to mess w/ the doses
            as his body may not adjust well to the change. She said their
            bodies can become somewhat dependent on the meds. I don't want to
            take any chances right now.
            Thank you again! Hugs to Sweetie!
            Take care,
            -Steph