OT - advice on trapping/adopting a lone feral

  • Pam Vojtas
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2003
      Hi All,
      Haven't posted much since Miss Magggie May died last November, but still lurking (and caring for Max, my Giant Schnauzer with hermangiosarcoma, an aggressive cancer). Of course, one can never have enough challenges in life, so I've decided its time to bring another kitty into the household. I've been feeding a 9-12 month old stray for the last several months - a scraggly little thing, who looks to be flea-ridden and doesn't seem to be putting on any weight. We're making great progress, now he (she?) arrives every evening and will eat with me less than a foot away. The last few nights I've actually been able to run my hand down his back and he took a little food from my hand without mauling it :)

      I've found lots of great info on the net about ferals, but most of it pertains to colonies and TNR (Trapping, Neutering and then Releasing) and about socializing feral *kittens*. Does anyone have any good (or bad) experiences socialing adults?

      Also, some specific questions:
      a) Would you trap with a haveaheart trap (a friend has one) OR can I just "grab" with a towel and gloves?
      b) Should I take him the very next morning for a complete checkup, neuter, vaccinations, blood work OR should I spend a week or two acclimating him and tending to basic needs first (fleas and food). (I'm familiar with basic acclimation rules and would be keeping him separated from the other 4 kitties)
      c) What do you think about attempting to apply Advantage while still on the loose (I'm thinking it would provide at least a little relief immediately, since I may not be making the catch for another few weeks).

      Thanks as always for your wonderful collective advice!

      Pam
    • barbara
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2003
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 3, 2003
          On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 17:46:53 -0400, "Pam Vojtas" <pam.vojtas@...>
          wrote:

          >I've found lots of great info on the net about ferals, but most of it pertains to colonies and TNR (Trapping, Neutering and then Releasing) and about socializing feral *kittens*. Does anyone have any good (or bad) experiences socialing adults?

          Hi Pam --

          You'll find another terrific Yahoo! group that offers information and
          support for *all* aspects of feral cat trapping/vetting/taming as WELL as
          TNR, if you go to:

          Just in the "Files" section alone there's a ton of taming information.
          There's lots of info in the "Links" section too. (Both of those are
          accessible without even having to join, but it's worth joining IMHO.)

          Good for you helping this little guy/gal!

          -- Michelle

          Please, Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Pets Die.