Re: [FH] Thank You and a Bandit Update

  • barbara
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2003
      From: catsfurlife
      To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, June 01, 2003 12:28 PM
      Subject: [FH] Thank You and a Bandit Update

      .
      His fur is really a mess so I have been thinking of getting him
      shaved down so we don't need to bother with fur. He's having trouble
      cleaning himself after he goes to the litterbox and, Does anyone have experience with that? I know some people
      shave their cats,

      B.A., (Before Advantage), we shaved our kitties to have better control over the fleas. We have a gorgeous little tortie named Squeaky that was very pregnant and we certainly didn't want her to have flea problems and give them to her babies so we included her in the annual cat shaving. After she gave birth, naked and all skin, we waited for her fur to grow back like everyone else's, but it didn't. It didn't and it didn't and it didn't. One night she crawled under the covers and slept on my legs and sometime in the middle of the night, she wanted out. Walking around over and under our legs, she made her way. Suddenly, my husband who had been soundly asleep, woke up screaming, "Snake, Snake!!!" He leaped to his feet on top of the bed and was dancing around as he screamed. Slowly a little tortie head eased out from under the covers, looking at him as though she thought he was a first class idiot. Could he not tell the difference from a soft furry little kitty and a cool, sleek snake...........wait a minute, she was cool and sleek and not furry at all, she was the snake.
      The moral to this tale is that when you shave them, make sure they have all the nutritional support kitties need to grow back hair and hang back from doing it if they are pregnant. Barbara and the KittyBabies

    • CatsFurLife@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2003
        OMG, Barbara, thank you for the laugh. It made my day. Your poor hubby and
        the poor little kitty. Right now Bandit's fur looks terrible and I am afraid
        to give him a bath. I clipped his nails and combed him today and I can still
        tell he is tender to the touch in his rear legs, but at least they move,
        albeit very stiffly. He cried a couple of times but he let me do it, so thank
        goodness that is over for a few weeks -- the nail cutting anyway. He does like to
        be combed and actually flipped over and did spread his back legs so I could
        comb there, but there was a spot or two where he whimpered. I kept telling him
        I didn't want to hurt him, and he just looked up at me with those big blue
        eyes. He knows it, but he's just telling me, "Mommy, I hurt." Poor baby. He's
        such a good boy and even when he's upset with me or I hurt him, he doesn't
        try to bite. He vocalizes his feelings.

        BTW, did your baby's fur ever grow back? Inquiring minds want to know.
        Also, what kind of cat was it, or did I miss what you said? I'm kind of mind
        boggled these days. Since Bandit is a Ragdoll, he has a whole lot of fur to grow
        back. I have heard that when Ragdolls are shaved, their fur grows back
        darker, I think. Hmmmm, he's a seal bicolor now -- wow. If his fur grows back
        darker, he'll be fabulous.

        Thanks so much for the story. It was wonderful. Hope all of you and the
        furbaby recovered.

        Sandy

      • CatsFurLife@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2003
          Thanks, Debbie. Bandit has lost his gorgeous coat though and I don't know if
          it's coming from the HCM or not. He used to be so nice and fluffy and now
          his fur just isn't fluffy any more. He's still gorgeous in my eyes but
          something else has happened to it. He used to have this gorgeous fluffy tail and that
          is gone as well. It's better than it was but I was starting to tell him he
          had a rat's tail. I loved his plumy tail. If you look at his pictures that I
          posted, you can see for yourself.

          Awwwww, Bandit has a namesake. That's so cute. Good luck on capturing all
          of the little ones. Not everyone would do that.

          Take care.

          Sandy

        • Debbie Raikes-May
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1, 2003
            Dear Sandy
            There is a spray you can get from the vet called Coatex. They get a squirt a day on the food or down the throat and it is excellent for scuzzy fur. When Treacle looked and smelled so awful I used it for a week and was amazed at how soft and glossy her coat got. It cleans the skin from the inside and has borage and primrose oil in it.
            Love to Bandit. One of the kits we caught today is b and w so we called him Bandit, too.
            LoveDebbie
[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Debbie Raikes-May
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 1, 2003
              Yes, it is part due to HCM this is what happened to Treacle for a while as toxins built up.
              However I am happy to tell you four months on she has her plumy tail and coat back, but thinner than before but really lovely again. It took time, soft brushing with a baby's hairbrush and I swear by Coatex!
              Much love
              Debbie and Treacle (You will get you tail back Bandit!)

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 1, 2003
                Barbara,
                Thanks for the very funny story!
                And for the important point about nutrition if you want the hair to
                grow back :)
                Brigtte