Spike's heart

  • barbara
    Message 1 of 13 , May 1, 2003
      To my friends at the feline heart post, I have not been online much lately, have to catch up in a few minutes in the mornings mostly. Have a temporary job, (to pay cat bills :-) Spikey is not doing well. I could kick myself for this. I took him in a couple of weeks ago to have him tested for hyper T. He was losing weight, howling, fur looked horrible, eating ravenouly, you guys know, all the symptoms. I had two cats that in looking back in retrospecitve wisdom, I know had hyper T and died in my arms. I know Spike was old when I took him to vet, somewhere around 18+ years, but I didn't want him to suffer all that happens in a cat's body with undiagnosed hyper T. But I think, know, that the vet visit was too stressful.. He was diagnosed that day with a heart murmur, but has gone downhill so fast since they pulled the blood for his test. I wasn't in the room, but I heard him screaming and it hurt me. He has aged years since then. Please pray for him, please pray that he rebounds and pulls out of this. Thank you, Barbara and the KittyBabies

    • Peg French
      Message 2 of 13 , May 1, 2003
        Dear Barbara, I am so sorry to hear that Spikey is not well. I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers. I know what you mean about him going downhill fast after the vets. I had a very old(20 yrs)cat that I took to the vet yo check for hyperT. What I didn't realize was that so was in heart failure. I took her home and when the vet called the next day with the lab results he asked if she was still with us. But she perked up and lived much longer than they thought she would. Love Peg and Torrie

        barbara <barbara@...> wrote:
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Debbie Raikes-May
        Message 3 of 13 , May 1, 2003
          I will pray as hard for Spikey as I do for Treacle and that means it couldn't be any harder.
          Much love
          Deb
[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • barbara
          Message 4 of 13 , May 1, 2003
            Thank you so much Debbie. I love the old guy so much, we've been through so much together. He even has 2 chapters in Nipper's book. I love him with all my heart and soul. Barb

            Message 5 of 13 , May 1, 2003
              I know you do.And from both sides of our ocean we will be united today in thought and prayer. Email me your phone number on my private email if you wish and I will call you
              Much love
              Debbie

              Message 6 of 13 , May 1, 2003
                Hi Barbara,

                I'll be praying for Spikey and you.

                Linda

                > To my friends at the feline heart post, I have not been online much
                lately, have to catch up in a few minutes in the mornings mostly. Have a
                temporary job, (to pay cat bills :-) Spikey is not doing well. I could
                kick myself for this. I took him in a couple of weeks ago to have him
                tested for hyper T. He was losing weight, howling, fur looked horrible,
                eating ravenouly, you guys know, all the symptoms. I had two cats that in
                looking back in retrospecitve wisdom, I know had hyper T and died in my
                arms. I know Spike was old when I took him to vet, somewhere around 18+
                years, but I didn't want him to suffer all that happens in a cat's body with
                undiagnosed hyper T. But I think, know, that the vet visit was too
                stressful.. He was diagnosed that day with a heart murmur, but has gone
                downhill so fast since they pulled the blood for his test. I wasn't in the
                room, but I heard him screaming and it hurt me. He has aged years since
                then. Please pray for him, please pray that he rebounds and pulls out of
                this. Thank you, Barbara and the KittyBabies

              • Wathey, Lisa
                Message 7 of 13 , May 1, 2003
                  so sorry Barbara. I hope Spikey rebounds at home with you and his friends. It sounds like you had to take him to the vet. He can recover from the stress now! Let us know how he is doing. Lisa, Barney and Angel Gable

                  > To my friends at the feline heart post, I have not been online much
                  lately, have to catch up in a few minutes in the mornings mostly. Have a
                  temporary job, (to pay cat bills :-) Spikey is not doing well. I could
                  kick myself for this. I took him in a couple of weeks ago to have him
                  tested for hyper T. He was losing weight, howling, fur looked horrible,
                  eating ravenouly, you guys know, all the symptoms. I had two cats that in
                  looking back in retrospecitve wisdom, I know had hyper T and died in my
                  arms. I know Spike was old when I took him to vet, somewhere around 18+
                  years, but I didn't want him to suffer all that happens in a cat's body with
                  undiagnosed hyper T. But I think, know, that the vet visit was too
                  stressful.. He was diagnosed that day with a heart murmur, but has gone
                  downhill so fast since they pulled the blood for his test. I wasn't in the
                  room, but I heard him screaming and it hurt me. He has aged years since
                  then. Please pray for him, please pray that he rebounds and pulls out of
                  this. Thank you, Barbara and the KittyBabies

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                  <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=232617.3212172.4524785.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1707296857:HM/A=1555962/R=0/*http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?1800flowers2+shopping:dmad/M=232617.3212172.4524785.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1707296857:HM/A=1555962/R=1/1051797887+http://us.rmi.yahoo.com/rmi/http://www.1800flowers.com/rmi-framed-url/http://www.1800flowers.com/cgi-bin/flowers/product.pl/MD01e84aF3GROUPSHMYH/1202>
                  <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=232617.3212172.4524785.1261774/D=egroupmail/S=:HM/A=1555962/rand=517445872>

                  This message and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee(s) only and may be confidential and covered by the attorney/client and other privileges. If the reader is not the intended recipient, DO NOT READ, notify sender and delete this message. In addition, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this message is strictly prohibited.

                • WENDY LAMB
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 1, 2003
                    MY prayers are with you and Spikey. You were doing just what needed to be done. Know that and take care of yourself.

                    Wendy and Tiger

                    > To my friends at the feline heart post, I have not been online much
                    lately, have to catch up in a few minutes in the mornings mostly. Have a
                    temporary job, (to pay cat bills :-) Spikey is not doing well. I could
                    kick myself for this. I took him in a couple of weeks ago to have him
                    tested for hyper T. He was losing weight, howling, fur looked horrible,
                    eating ravenouly, you guys know, all the symptoms. I had two cats that in
                    looking back in retrospecitve wisdom, I know had hyper T and died in my
                    arms. I know Spike was old when I took him to vet, somewhere around 18+
                    years, but I didn't want him to suffer all that happens in a cat's body with
                    undiagnosed hyper T. But I think, know, that the vet visit was too
                    stressful.. He was diagnosed that day with a heart murmur, but has gone
                    downhill so fast since they pulled the blood for his test. I wasn't in the
                    room, but I heard him screaming and it hurt me. He has aged years since
                    then. Please pray for him, please pray that he rebounds and pulls out of
                    this. Thank you, Barbara and the KittyBabies

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • Peggy
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 1, 2003
                      My prayers for both you and Spike. It's hard but try to avoid feeling guilty. Whenever I have a sick kitty I second-guess myself ��� It would be nice if we were omniscient but you���ve done the best you could. And from what you���ve said that was the best decision ��� you couldn���t have not taken him to the vet, he needed a diagnosis you needed to know what treatment was available for him. This is a terrible disease ��� so many times I���ve had to rush Phantom to the vet and he gets so stressed and he���s panting and I���m panicking but I know that he needs treatment that I can���t give him ��� yet still the worry and pain is there. Peg

                    • bcowell
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 1, 2003
                        Barbara,
                        You know, you really did do the right thing by taking Spike to the
                        vet. Yes, now you feel it was too stressful, but at the time you only
                        wanted to care for him and do the best you could for him. I'm sure he
                        knows this and knows how much you love him. Poor Spike, I really do
                        hope he pulls through and regains his spirit.
                        Brigitte

                        Message 11 of 13 , May 1, 2003
                          Thanks for the words Peg. He is eating, but not moving about at all.
                          Surprise and Freddie Mon are both so worried. As I sit here typing,
                          Surprise is almost on the keyboard and Fred is next to the mouse pad,
                          looking at me, willing me to make Spike better. As it is, Old Fred Mon
                          isn't looking all that great himself. I put Spike in the spare bedroom so
                          no one will take his food and so I can make sure he is drinking and peeing
                          enough. Please keep him in your prayers. Barbara and the KittyBabies
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 1, 2003
                            Thank you. Sometimes we know we did what had to be done, but that old guilt monster keeps peeking in and saying, "Yeah, but if ............." I try not ot hear him, but it is hard sometimes. Barbara and the KittyBabies

                            Message 13 of 13 , May 1, 2003
                              Barbara, I can't tell you how much I understand. I have always found some way to take guilt in the loss or sickness of an animal. Spike sounds like a tough boy and he has lots of people rooting for him. take care of you both.

                              Wendy and Tiger