Frustrating Pongo News

  • brunobaby
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 9, 2000
      Well, Pongo looks great this week. He's been an eating machine, he's
      getting fleshier, livelier, and he looks a whole year younger, which is
      like seven to you and me.

      The problem is, his EKG still sucks.

      We have to bring him in for an echo on Thursday.

      "Uh, there still will *be* a Pongo on Thursday, right?" I asked the vet. He
      laughed.

      "He's still got a way to go."

      He explained that when the Inderal doesn't take care of the irregular
      heartbeat, it means there's a mechanical problem somewhere in the heart,
      probably the valves, but they won't be able to pinpoint where without the
      echo.

      Once they pinpoint it, they'll know where else to go with the meds,
      probably increasing the Vasotec.

      He was due for another echo around January, anyway. I was afraid of the
      idea, because of the possibility of them finding something else wrong, but
      it looks as if something else is wrong anyway, and the sooner they find out
      what it is, the better the chances are of his surviving as long as possible.

      That's what they said at the start of all this mess nearly a year and a
      half ago, and so far, it seems to be working. So we have our fingers
      crossed that it continues.

      --Melinda
    • Laura Penny
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 9, 2000
        Melinda,

        I wonder if they do pacemakers in cats. I know my cats' cardiologist puts
        them in dogs.

        I do agree that echos are scary! I always dread their twice-yearly visits.

        Purrs to Pongo.

        Laura, Lucky & Kassy

      • brunobaby@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 9, 2000
          Laura Penny wrote:

          > Melinda,
          >
          > I wonder if they do pacemakers in cats. I know my cats' cardiologist >puts them in dogs.

          I think I read on one of the sites that they do. I don't know if it
          would be effective on an HCM cat, since the nature of the disease is
          progressive. My vet hasn't mentioned it as a possibility, but I'll ask
          him to ask the vet cardiologist.

          I know he mentioned they were working on open-heart surgery and
          transplants. Someday, our future pets will have the heart of a pig
          transplanted into their bodies, although watching my cats eat, I think
          they already have. ;-)

          --Melinda