OT - Need help with kitten-proofing

  • diane@mathermotorsports.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 8, 2000
      In about 14 hours I should be on my way home with a new addition to
      the family. We have not had a 8 week old kitten in this house since 9
      years ago when I got Kearra. At that time I had 2 others.

      Now we have 5 plus this one.

      Here's the "problem". We keep all the litterboxes in the basement.
      The cats are indoor only. Our basement is a disaster area quite
      frankly, and I'm afraid to let something so young and small down
      there. I have no problem isolating her to the upstairs for the time
      being, but it will be difficult to do without locking the others out
      of the basement also.

      A bigger problem with locking the others out, is that 4 of the 5 use
      the basement as "oh no, someone else is in the house" or "oh no, i
      heard a loud noise and need to hide". Even closing the door freaks
      them out for awhile.

      Any suggestions?

      I am reluctant to lock her in a cage or a room all to herself. I want
      her to grow up having the run of the house, but need her to get used
      to the house and a little bigger!

      Thanks!

      Diane, off to clean some more!
    • Mike & Linda Irrgang (Now in Jamaica!)
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 10, 2000
        oh diane, what wonderful news....what is your new kitten like? name? i'm
        afriad i don't have any constructive suggestions but i'm very ahpppy to hear
        that you've got a new family member.

        hugs,
        linda, max and pum

      • brunobaby@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 11, 2000
          Ooops! Went back and read Diane's post again.

          > Here's the "problem". We keep all the litterboxes in the basement.
          > The cats are indoor only. Our basement is a disaster area quite
          > frankly, and I'm afraid to let something so young and small down
          > there.

          Is there a way you can clear part of the basement to create a kitten-
          safe area? How big is this kitten and how high can he/she jump? Can
          you use a child's playpen, or can you use one of those
          little "accordion" child-proof gates to section off a kitten-safe
          part of the basement?

          A friend of ours found some abandoned five-week-old kittens a few
          weeks ago, and created an impromptu "kitten playpen" with some
          cardboard boxes. She stuck a small litterbox in there and they were
          all set. When they were old enough to figure out an escape, their
          adult male cat acted as "nanny" and brought them all back in. <G>

          --Melinda
        • diane
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 11, 2000
            Melinda,

            She has found her own safe area. We had some extra sonotubes from our
            scratching pole and Tim cut them in half and hung them from the ceiling. He
            did this for the ferals who still get spooked easily. They can hang out up
            there and no one knows they're there. Also, we ran it from the landing on
            the stairs across the basement to a bookcase, so they actually have an
            above-ground escape route if they ever feel "trapped" down there. And keep
            in mind that "trapped" can simply be a the gas man repairing the furnace.

            Anyway, Tim spent all Saturday morning cleaning the back room which was the
            major problem down there. The new one has found the hanging tunnel and
            spent some time in it yesterday, much to the annoyance of the older cats
            who like it. <G>

            She can't jump high, but she "can" climb! If the DPO's hadn't thrown out
            the french doors in our dining room and living room (2 sets!) I'd just lock
            her in one of those rooms, which would still give everyone else access to
            the basement and not create panic for them. I have a very low litter box
            that I had bought for Frisky when I thought he was having trouble getting
            in and out, and for now I just bring it in the bedroom at night and back in
            the dining room in the morning. She is the only one using it (I feared
            bringing one up would mean *5* of them would forget the 4 other boxes in
            the basement!). I also remembered Kearra peeing on the bed and on the rug
            in the bathroom when she was very little so have decided to suck up the box
            in the bedroom for a little while.

            We have survived two nights together (not very productive sleeping however)
            and things are looking good. I was a little worried last night, somehow she
            snuck under the covers and was nestled against my stomach. Not that I mind,
            but she's so small!.

            Thanks,

            Diane