RE: [feline-heart] Oliver is fading...and it's not his heart

  • Mike & Linda Irrgang (Now in Jamaica!)
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 8, 2000
      Hi Jill,
      Have you asked your husband what he thinks? Is it possible that he would go
      with you if Ollie had already left you and then he wouldn'thave to be athome
      alone? Geez, this is a hard one...they're all hard but geez, it sounds
      complicated....you need to look into your heart for the right answer. You
      will be in our thoughts and prayers.

      Bright light,
      Linda Max and Pum

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 8, 2000

        Is a vet visit considered a "heroic measure"?

        > The vet took an X-ray, and while he's going to have
        > a radiologist look at it, Ollie's stomach looked to be
        > completely covering his liver -- or else
        > his liver is enlarged. His spleen may be enlarged as well.

        > He's lost a half-pound just since last Saturday, and I
        > can't get anything into him at all -- I bought low-salt
        > deli turkey and roast beef; he won't
        > eat that. I even bought sardines and he won't eat that. If he
        > won't eat, there's not much we can do. I will not force-feed him.

        > Here's my problem: I have a stepfather who's dying of
        > cancer (so much death right now -- my sister, who's going
        > with me, had to have her 14-1/2 year old
        > Golden Retriever put down last Saturday) up in Maine, and
        > I'm going up there, with my sister, next Thursday through Sunday.
        > My husband will be staying home. Should I cancel? It doesn't
        > seem fair to leave him home to potentially deal with this alone,
        > and yet, I don't know how long my stepdad
        > has, and it will cost me $$$ to cancel the trip.

        No one here can tell you how to make the tradeoff between two seriously ill
        lives that are precious to you. You need to make that decision yourself.
        But as far as leaving your husband with Oliver, are you sure that he (your
        husband) would mind? Especially given the circumstances.

        > But there's more. On Tuesday the 19th, I start a new job., so taking
        > "bereavement days" if we lose Ollie is out of the question.

        I wouldn't look this far ahead, just that. If it comes down to it, you'll
        need to take the days off wothout pay or just gut it out & go to work. It's
        not pretty, but you have other things on your agenda right now.

        --
        JR
        & Tabby (RB), Lynx (RB), Licorice, Tigger