Re: [feline-heart] Pebbles

  • Voula Augerinos
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 4, 2000
      Hi Melinda,
      thanks for your reply. We haven't started Pebbles on Tapazole /
      neo-mercazol (Australian equivalent) as yet. We will be looking at a low
      starting dose at the next ultrasound of Pebbles' heart.
      I am interested as to how Phoebe is going overall on the Tapazole. Has
      she had any side effects, and does she have any kidney problems? Also what
      dose are you giving?

      > Having Phoebe on Tapezole, vitamins and Wellness canned food has turned
      > her from a snarling furball into an affectionate purr-bucket. Visitors
      > can't believe she's the same cat and want to know what we did with the
      > Mean One. <G>

      Yes I think the main reason Pebbles was given Inderal was to slow her
      heart rate. I have been doing some research on Inderal. Inderal is also
      commonly used in people with hyperthyroidism to slow the heart rate and to
      block effects of excess thyroid hormone on the heart. It also has some
      anti-adrenaline effect and so would make a person or an animal feel calmer.
      In cases where Tapazole is not tolerated, Inderal is used to protect the
      heart.

      > I don't know why vets give one heart med over another. It may have to do
      > with the cause of the ailment, or what stage it's in.
      >
      > My father's had heart troubles for decades and says they're always
      > changing the types and dosages of his meds. And he's done all the same
      > meds as Pongo, except he takes them with a lot less trouble.
      Yes my father's high blood pressure medication is often changed too.
      But in his case I think he complains more than Pebbles! LOL
    • Voula Augerinos
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 30, 2000
        > Hi everyone,
        > the past couple of days Pebbles' bowel movements have been normal.
        She
        > has had no more vomiting since early Monday morning when she brought up
        two
        > furballs and no more diarrhea since she passed two furballs in her stool
        > Wednesday morning. This morning she went to the litter a few times and
        > produced small motions. Then a few moments ago she went again and had a >
        small amount of
        > diarrhea again. Now she is under the bed. She has been sleeping on the
        bed
        > the past few days. Could this be a reactive diarrhea to being a bit
        > constipated? Any suggestions? She is eating well. Could it be more fur
        > balls or her thyroid? We started her on thyroid medication for her
        > hyperthyroidism last Sunday. She appeared to be tolerating it well. I
        hope
        > and pray we are not going to have another episode of vomiting, diarrhea
        and
        > lack of appetite. I am starting to feel nervous again. Perhaps she is not
        > drinking enough? Would some added fibre in her diet be helpful? A bit of
        > catalax? The vet at the hospital said not to give her catalax if she is
        > having diarrhea. Our vet said to give her a little.
        > Love, Voula and Pebbles and Lucy and my Beautiful Angel Sachie.
        >
        > http://www.geocities.com/vaugerinos/
        > (Sachie's tribute page, and photos of Sachie and Pebbles.)
        >
        > TO UNSUBSCRIBE from this list, email to:
        >
        > All messages sent to feline-crf-support@egroups.com are Copyright 2000 by
        the original author. Do not forward or excerpt to another group or
        nonmember without the author's permission.