Fw: Treacle

  • Debbie Raikes-May
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 16, 2003
      A quick update is in order, I think.

      Treacles kidney tests came back fine...no evidence of renal failure at present.
      She is enjoying the sun and trying to tan her white bits (an uphill task as her tummy is snowy white and always has been despite stringent sunbathing across the years)

      The vet dicsovered she has a sore tooth but they won't operate to remove it as the anaesthetic is too risky at her age and condition, The homepathic vet we use as back up has put her on aconite when she needs it to relieve any pain.

      I told her (I am sure she understands) that when she is too tired to carry on and has had enough, I would like her to let me know and we will honour her wishes. I also told her it is okay for her to let go if and when she wants to and that we will always love her. I really do think she understood me because the look in her eyes changed. I promise I am not being fanciful.

      Since then she seems to have picked up a bit and I thought over about her last memories being sunny ones (literally). We are all dying anyway, every living thing, aren't we?
      I have decided to look at it that she is living with heart disease, not dying from it and that she has a right to choose what she wants as I believe we all do. (not a popular subject today:witness the Dignitas dispute)

      In the meantime, she can roll on the lawn, scold the blackbirds and bite her sister's tail all she wants. We will allow her palliative treatment but not, I think, the stress of more invasive work for what - a few more months at most.
      Please think warm thoughts of her so she knows not to be scared.And if she chooses to heal, that is her prerogative, too.
      Love
      Debbie

    • Sheila Monti
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 16, 2003
        Debbie, have you had many cats throughout your life? I have and everyone (except one that died suddenly) lets you know when they've had enough. I always got nervous if I would know when it was time, but each time, I knew. We don't like to talk about it, but we need to so we can deal with it. The Vets say they don't feel the injection, but I always opted for a strong sedative beforehand. I always held them and I know because of that they didn't feel anything. With Rocky, I felt the pain go out of his body, he actually sighed. It may not be something you have to think about for a long time, so don't make yourself sick now. She will let you know when you have to think about it again. Sheila

        Debbie Raikes-May <debbie.raikesmay@...> wrote:A quick update is in order, I think.

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
        var lrec_target="_top"; var lrec_URL = new Array(); lrec_URL[1] = "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=231971.3069354.4492417.1728375/D=egroupweb/S=1707296857:HM/A=1540635/R=0/id=flashurl/*http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?proflowers2+shopping:dmad/M=231971.3069354.4492417.1728375/D=egroupweb/S=1707296857:HM/A=1540635/R=1/1050498113+http://us.rmi.yahoo.com/rmi/http://www.proflowers.com/rmi-unframed-url/http://www.proflowers.com/freechocolate/index.cfm%3FREF=FCHYahooEgroupsEasterLRECgif"; var link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)"; var lrec_flashfile = 'http://us.yimg.com/a/pr/proflowers/proflowers_easter_300x250.swf?clickTAG='+link+''; var lrec_altURL = "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=231971.3069354.4492417.1728375/D=egroupweb/S=1707296857:HM/A=1540635/R=2/id=altimgurl/*http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?proflowers2+shopping:dmad/M=231971.3069354.4492417.1728375/D=egroupweb/S=1707296857:HM/A=1540635/R=3/1050498113+http://us.rmi.yahoo.com/rmi/http://www.proflowers.com/rmi-unframed-url/http://www.proflowers.com/freechocolate/index.cfm%3FREF=FCHYahooEgroupsEasterLRECgif"; var lrec_altimg = "http://us.yimg.com/a/pr/proflowers2/easter_tulip_300x250_choc.gif"; var lrec_width = 300; var lrec_height = 250;

      • Debbie Raikes-May
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 16, 2003
          Dear Sheila
          I haven't had many cats, no. They are actually my first two so no previous experience.
          I think we balk at talking of death and its realities in our culture anyway. Discuss sex, money but not death.
          I read an article which says the sedative makes them sick and the struggle against the final injection. It traumatised me rigid. I am interested to hear your experience was not the same.

          Thanks for the advice re furball too.............it may well be the case, she is a heavy moulter particularly when it is hot. I think she wishes she had a zip down her tummy so we could zip her out and let her run around in her vest and pants!!!
          Debbiex
[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • WENDY LAMB
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 16, 2003
            That was beautiful and all any of us could hope for. I think you sound as at peace as she does. Take care of both of you.

            Wendy L and Tiger (aka Mr T)

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 16, 2003
                Dear Sheila
                I know the look you mean! there is a cat near here which gets this done and we call her the 'Pom Pom' cat!
                Thanks
                Love
                Debbie----- Original Message -----

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 1, 2003
                  Kate, the vet has just been. She was a bit shirty I had been reading up on stuff and reminded me that she has a chemistry degree in addition to everything else and I don't...she was nice but I felt put down. She said T couldn't possibly have internal bleeding as she has done nothing energetic to get it. She also said that the kidney failure is caused by the heart problem and nothing else so she wouldn't prescribe potassium binders at all. She says there is no medical evidence that there is any benefit to these and that they are at an experimental stage in the USA and that the UK has dismissed them altogether. I am very disappointed about this as I had read what you guys said and it sounded so useful. She also said there is no way she has anameia as she was tested for this three weeks ago and there was no sign then.

                  She gave T a B12 and steroid injection as this will help (does anyone know how?) and that was it. I feel very let down as she clearly didn't want to hang about and discuss stuff with me. 'Neurotic woman' was what she was thinking, I think. I don't want to antognise them as they are the best practice locally and we have always got on very well. I am normally so assertive but this seems different and I am at a bit of a loss

                  She explained what is happening to T like this:

                  Her kidney failure is caused by heart drugs. She can't come off the heart drugs or the heart failure will kill her. Drugs to help her with the nerve damage worsen the kidneys. She can come off these but then will be in huge pain. Teeth are dissolving due to the acid in her stomach being excessive. Can't have them taken out as the GA would kill her...teeth hurting means she won't eat much. Not eating much means the heart drugs absobrb too quickly putting strain on the kidneys....
                  Well, you get the picture.

                  I don't want to give up on the potassium binder idea though ...is there any way I can have them sent out to me from the States? Anyone out there who could help me?

                  Bless you for listening to me rant!
                  Debbie
                  Debbie Raikes-May
                  Clock Consultancy Ltd

                • Susan
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 1, 2003
                    --- Debbie Raikes-May
                    <debbie.raikesmay@...> wrote:
                    She
                    > also said that the kidney failure is caused by the
                    > heart problem and nothing else so she wouldn't
                    > prescribe potassium binders at all. She says there
                    > is no medical evidence that there is any benefit to
                    > these and that they are at an experimental stage in
                    > the USA and that the UK has dismissed them
                    > altogether.

                    Debbie,

                    the Yahoo group AskE-Vet is run by a UK vet names
                    Peter Knapp. His answers are short and usually in vet
                    speak but maybe he can answer your questions regarding
                    the binders.

                    Susan

                    =====

                    http://sbc.yahoo.com