No subject was specified.

  • brunobaby
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2000
      >Your letter also made me realise that *if only* we'd known what
      >Muggley's problem was earlier, we could have done more to help him.

      Carina, your letter reminds me that we've been very, very lucky with
      Pongo.

      Of course, it's hard to remember how lucky we feel when we've been
      praying for a good EKG and when he acts like his meds are some alien
      substance we're trying to poison him with.

      We've been lucky to have vets who specialize in cats, and who don't
      dismiss my claims of Pongo looking "off" but who take the owner's word
      for it and know what to look for.

      And it's so tough to judge a cat's health because they hide their
      symptoms so well. God only knows how long Pongo's heart had been giving
      him problems before we began to suspect something was "off" -- could
      have been months!

      A friend of mine had even less warning. Her 14-year-old cat presented no
      symptoms other than lack of appetite one morning, which she chalked up
      to the heat wave, and she came home from work to find the cat stone cold
      dead on the floor.

      I've seen Cardiomyopathy referred to as the major cause of sudden death
      in cats.
      That's not a comforting thought, and makes you want to constantly
      monitor their sleeping respiration to make sure they still *have*
      respiration. Which can seriously deprive you of a life, since cats seem
      to spend so much of their time sleeping at any age. <G>

      And when I torture myself over whether or not I'm doing enough for
      Pongo, whether I should have suspected something sooner, what else can I
      do for him, make him bionic? I have to remind myself that I've given my
      cats a lot of doting care all their lives, that nothing could have
      protected them from the maladies of old age, and that all in all,
      they've had a better life than most animals on this earth, and even a
      lot of people.

      I hope that's some kind of comfort for you, and I hope your other cats
      are doing well.

      --Melinda
    • Laura Penny
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 4, 2000
        We should all be so lucky as to be reincarnated into cats with caregivers
        like us.

        Laura