Acid-Blockers

  • brunobaby
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2000
      Jill reports:

      >I got a Zantac
      >oral syrup. Apparently there are some contraindications of the Tagamet
      and
      >Pepcid families of drugs in elderly cats with heart trouble, and I
      think
      >Pepcid interacts strangely with calcium channel blockers like
      Diltiazem.

      I took the same printouts to the vet when he recommended Pepcid, and he
      seemed to think that Pepcid was benign, but that Tagamet and Zantac
      weren't recommended.

      Which was strange, since the same vet had recommended Tagamet five years
      ago when Pongo was on Tapazole to boost his metabolism before thyroid
      surgery. But then, he was just on Tagamet and Tapazole for three weeks,
      and Pepcid hadn't been marketed yet.

      >what do the rest of you
      >guys do who use these acid-blocking drugs on your cats?

      We give it to him twice a day, one quarter tablet each dose. We give it
      to him regularly, whether he's barfed or not. Just one more med on the
      med calendar.

      >He was feeling very frisky this morning. Started chewing on things in
      the
      >bedroom at 3 AM, and after the fifth time of squirting him with the
      water
      >bottle, he finally bit me. Things are at a sorry pass indeed when such

      >behavior is cause for joy. :)

      LOL!

      Pongo's traditionally awakened us by stepping on my husband and biting
      my head. When that doesn't get us up, he stands tippy-toe on his hind
      legs at the foot of the bed and pulls stuff down from the bookcase a
      couple of feet away.

      I used to just hook my foot under his outstretched torso and pivot him
      off the bed. But the past few mornings, when he does it, I've been
      grabbing him and hugging him. Of course, then he's totally confused --
      cats don't have any concept of mortality, and that's good. Who needs
      Woody Allen's cat?

      --Melinda