RE: [feline-heart] Mixed Pongo News

  • Jonathan Rosenberg
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2000
      Here's what I know about taurine:

      1) A taurine deficiency can cause severe heart problems, particularly
      dilated cardiomyopathy.

      2) Taurine deficiency is rare in non-ferals, since all commercial cat food
      now containts adequate levels of taurine (this was not true many years ago).
      Lynx's cardiologist suggested that it wasn't worth worrying about, unless
      your cat is eating primarily a non-cat-specific diet (e.g., people food).
      (I'm not 100% sure about raw diets, but I believe that meat contains LOTS of
      taurine, so there's no problem there, either.)

      3) There's no harm in adding taurine to the cat's diet (check with your vet
      for dosage).

      4) If it has an affect, it would show up on ECGs.