Pongo

  • Carina Norris
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2000
      Hi Melinda

      Just wanted to say that you and Pongo are in my thoughts and prayers -
      hang in there, little guy! (or is that 'not so little' guy <g>)

      Your letter also made me realise that *if only* we'd known what
      Muggley's problem was earlier, we could have done more to help him. A
      lot of the things you mentioned with Pongo - like decreased muscle
      mass, 'scrawny old man' look etc - that I saw in Muggley too. But
      because he generally looked OK, and seemed happy, I didn't do
      anything. Until that dreadfully quick downhill spiral - from OK to
      gone in under a month :-(

      So, I'm really pleased that you found out about Pongo's heart earlier,
      and that he's got you and his vets doing all they can for him.

      {{love, hugs and purrs}}
      Carina, Mr Jones, Spesh, Psyche, Siri - and angel Muggley.

      Message: 1
      Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 22:55:20 -0400
      From: brunobaby <brunobaby@...>
      Subject: Mixed Pongo News

      Pongo's EKG this morning was no better than last week's, and no worse.

      We have to double the Inderal from 1/4 to 1/2 a pill twice a day and
      bring him back next Saturday.

      I asked the vet exactly what the purpose was of the Inderal. He said
      that there were two benefits: it improves the circulation and
      regulates
      the heartbeat.

      We can see the improvement in the circulation already, and that's a
      good
      sign. Pongo's been more vivid this week, he's had a voracious
      appetite,
      and he's even lost a little of the "scrawny old man" look he's had for
      the past few months.

      So it's not exactly *great* news, but it's not unprecedented. We had a
      similar crisis fourteen months ago, shortly after he was diagnosed. He
      was losing muscle mass quickly and he had fluid in his lungs. We upped
      the Lasix and the fluid cleared up, and so far hasn't returned, and we
      started him on Winstrol, which improved the muscle mass. And I thought
      we were going to lose him *then*, but he's still here and nosy as
      ever.

      Also, it doesn't surprise me that he needs a larger dose of anything.
      He's a BIG cat -- 16 lbs. in his prime and 13 as a scrawny old man.

      And the vet said today that he's treated cats older than 16 and with
      worse HCM who were also termed "End Stage," who lasted comfortably for
      months.

      So nobody can make a definite prognosis right now -- cats don't come
      with an expiration date -- but we're optimistic that we're on the
      right
      track.

      --Melinda
    • shiverden@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 27, 2001
        Melinda, congratulations on Pongo's recovery! I had my fingers crossed for
        you!

        I personally have/had a condition known as PSVT - paroxysmal superventricular
        tachycardia - have had since I was ten years old, just over 20 years. It is
        an electrical misfire that causes intermittent runs of a fast, abnormal
        rhythym - tachycardia like you describe for Pongo. A few months ago I had a
        surgical procedure which used computers and catheters to map the nerve
        pathways of the heart and correct the abnormality by "burning" (using low
        level radiation) the abnormal nerve pathways in the heart which cause the
        misfire. (Unfortunately right now they do not do catheter ablation on cats,
        and I don't forsee them doing so, it's a very involved - and expensive! -
        procedure).

        While the SVT has stopped - I used to go into periods of SVT where my heart
        rate would go up to 220 bpm for anywhere from 2 to 20 minutes, and now I
        don't - I still get a lot of "skipped beats" or PVCs. So I take medication
        now every day, for the rest of my life, to control the skipping. I started
        out on Inderal, but the side effects (drowsiness, sluggishness) were too much
        for me to be able to lead my regular life (work, mom, cats etc). Since have
        switched to a different beta blocker with less side effects.

        Other things that help are making sure that I stay hydrated, get enough
        sleep, don't stress out, and I take vitamins every day that specifically
        contain magnesium, potassium, and phosphate. I used to just eat a lot of
        bananas and yogurt but since recovering from the surgery and taking
        medication has changed the way my heart works, now I need to take some extra
        to make sure the intracellular levels in the heart are sufficient. These 3
        specific elements are essential in regulating a normal heartbeat and while
        available in a healthy diet, sometimes people need to supplement. You might
        investigate the possibilities of helping Pongo further by supplementing him
        with vitamins in addition to his medication. Pongo in effect had a heart
        attack and it will take his body some time to recover!

        Jennifer Shortall
        <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/bonibaru">Shiverden</A>

      • rhbutlerjr@worldnet.att.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 27, 2001
          So Happy Pongo is better. Ill say a prayer for him to continue. I
          am a little new did you all get on the chat I never see anyone. I
          have had a cat Speedy die 1 yr ago suddenly with hmc I have a
          brother of her mr t who died 6 months earlier of heart problems
          mr t was 5 Speedy 6. Their brother was tested with everything
          and the ultra sound of the heart showed it sockster has been
          taking antenol amd .25 baby asp every 3rd day. He was fine on
          his last check up. The last sister Blackie tested fine but a thorax
          problem caused a lot of problem last april. We took her to
          Purdue U they tested all they could and put her on RUTIN and sp
          food they thought she would not last long but this is 10 moths
          and she is better today than last april so the rutin works. So
          pongo I know the pain and how wonderful it is to take you home
          from the hospital as we did our Blackie and our other 2 we
          couldnt. Hang in there and waybe someone will let me know if
          they ever use the caht room thanks Sockster blackie and of
          course me JR
        • Mike & Linda Irrgang
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 28, 2001
            hi jr,
            i dont' know about the chat room....????

            linda