Re: [feline-heart] Digest Number 177

  • J. Z.
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2000
      Melinda:

      Glad to hear that Pongo is doing better. He's a tough old coot, isn't he?

      I took Ollie to the vet yesterday, armed with all my printouts from the Web
      about Pepcid AC and related drugs. The vet agreed that trying him on one of
      them was a good idea (if for no other reason than to ascertain whether his
      appetite problems are because of his stomach or his teeth. I got a Zantac
      oral syrup. Apparently there are some contraindications of the Tagamet and
      Pepcid families of drugs in elderly cats with heart trouble, and I think
      Pepcid interacts strangely with calcium channel blockers like Diltiazem.
      The question I have is this: How often do I give it to him? Just when he
      loses his appetite? The prescription says to give it to him daily and not
      stop suddenly, but that seems kind of odd to me, to just keep him on this
      stuff indefinitely.

      I'm going to call the vet Monday and verify, but what do the rest of you
      guys do who use these acid-blocking drugs on your cats?

      He was feeling very frisky this morning. Started chewing on things in the
      bedroom at 3 AM, and after the fifth time of squirting him with the water
      bottle, he finally bit me. Things are at a sorry pass indeed when such
      behavior is cause for joy. :)

      Jill