Re: [feline-heart] Mixed Pongo News

  • Voula Augerinos
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2000
      Dear Helen,
      thanks Helen. I will check out your web site. What was the question
      about CoQ10 and taurine? I will try to help.

      http://www.geocities.com/vaugerinos/
      (Sachie's tribute page, and photos of Sachie and Pebbles.)

      > > Does anyone know the different actions of different medications
      given
      > > for HCM?
      >
      > See my website, Related Diseases, second disease down (after hyperT).
      >
      > Now is anybody going to answer my question about CoQ10 and Taurine from
      last
      > Wednesday?
    • Jonathan Rosenberg
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2000
        Here's what I know about taurine:

        1) A taurine deficiency can cause severe heart problems, particularly
        dilated cardiomyopathy.

        2) Taurine deficiency is rare in non-ferals, since all commercial cat food
        now containts adequate levels of taurine (this was not true many years ago).
        Lynx's cardiologist suggested that it wasn't worth worrying about, unless
        your cat is eating primarily a non-cat-specific diet (e.g., people food).
        (I'm not 100% sure about raw diets, but I believe that meat contains LOTS of
        taurine, so there's no problem there, either.)

        3) There's no harm in adding taurine to the cat's diet (check with your vet
        for dosage).

        4) If it has an affect, it would show up on ECGs.