Re: [feline-heart] New member - Ugly Muggley is very sick

  • cynthia rausch
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 23, 2000
      Carina Norris wrote:
      He's spent three days in intensive care, because he had breathing
      difficulties, which the vets don't think were anything to do with his
      heart, but because he's not strong enough for an anaesthetic and a
      tracheal wash, they can't pinpoint what's causing the breathing
      problems. So he's now on prednisolone, Briconyl syrup, Baytril and
      Panacur (for lungworms), to hopefully blitz any of the possible
      causes!

      Hi Carina, and Muggley,

      I wonder why your vet gave Muggley prednisolone? Its my understanding
      that these kind of steroids causes sodium and fluid retention, and can
      rapidly and disastrously cause congestive heart failure.

      You may want to watch Muggley, to make sure he does not gain any wieght
      while on this drug.

      Another potential side effect of pred in elderly cats is diabetes, but
      it is much easier to deal with.

      Did they say that they were going to put him on any heart drugs?

      Cynthia, Taffy, Samuel