Re: [FH] Update on Treacle

  • cindy mitchell
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2, 2003
      You sound as alarmist as me! Glad you realized it was the heater and that she is feeling better.
      .

      Cindy Mitchell
      Message 2 of 9 , May 28, 2003
        HI Debbie,

        I am not a vet and all I can go by is my own experiences and what I have been told. I too, have been told by vets that Pred is hard on them and CAN cause problems. That is the key word, CAN. I have had to use it in my own animals and have not had any problems. Every animal is different and so each will react individually. If it is any comfort, I think you are doing the right thing, because quality is much more important than quantity. I think Treacle has already said that :) Take care of you guys. I talk about you and Treacle and my family doesn't even ask who I am talking about, anymore. In fact, my daughter asked me how TReacle was doing yesterday. Friends don't have to live on your doorstep.

        Love
        Wendy and Tiger

        Some of you have said Pred does not damage kidneys. My vet and my cardio are adamant that it does! I find this division most hard to deal with...if any kind soul can point me toward hard data that may say conslusievly one way or the other, I would be most grateful.

        Love
        Debbie and Treacle (who just thanks you from her bottom, because she is licking it right now!)

        Message 3 of 9 , May 28, 2003
          Debbie,

          When Miss Charlotte was a mere youth, she had horribly itchy skin.
          It was so bad she spent two summers perched on a neighbor's fence.
          She only came home to eat and lost a lot of weight. The doc put her
          on pred. She took pred for a couple of YEARS! Now I chuckle because
          the vet said then it might shorten her life by five years. As you
          know, Charlotte was nineteen when she was pts. The pred never fazed
          her.

          Just one person's experience.

          Kate
        • Carol Thompson
          Message 4 of 9 , May 28, 2003
            Debbie, I was SO glad to hear that Treacle has had a better day today! May she have many, many more!

            Just wanted to offer you some of my experiences that relate to yours with Treacle in case they might help.

            First, the pred. My first cat Blizzard was on prednisolone for several years to alleviate the pain of his arthritis and did well on it -- he lived to be 18 and a half. It was a conscious decision, like yours, in favor of quality of life. And it even perked up his appetite!

            As far as lumps, Blizzard had a lump the size of a large pea on his chin for years. It just sat there and didn't cause any problems. Recently I found a similar size lump on my cat Clipsie's chest in the skin just in front of her legs. Took her to the vet -- he said it was very superficial and just to keep an eye on it. What I am trying to say is that lumps don't necessarily mean panic time.

            And finally, Fentanyl patches for pain. When my cat Max had knee surgery, they put a patch on him on his back for the pain. But even though he had just had surgery on both legs and the patch was on his back near his shoulders, he managed to keep pulling it off. So they (the hospital) stapled it on with the same staples used to suture his knees. Then he pulled the staples out! (He also pulled the sutures out of his knees which mean having them re-done and an Elizabethan collar for awhile.) So there could be issues with patches if a kitty doesn't want them there!

            Know that you and Treacle have understanding friends around the world!

            Carol, Clipsie, and kitten Charlie

            Message 5 of 9 , May 29, 2003
              Thanks so m,uch
              I think we are intending to keep her on it, she is much happier and best of all, can hold her tail up again!
              Love
              Debbie
              When Miss Charlotte was a mere youth, she had horribly itchy skin.
              It was so bad she spent two summers perched on a neighbor's fence.
              She only came home to eat and lost a lot of weight. The doc put her
              on pred. She took pred for a couple of YEARS! Now I chuckle because
              the vet said then it might shorten her life by five years. As you
              know, Charlotte was nineteen when she was pts. The pred never fazed
              her.

              Just one person's experience.

              Kate

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Debbie Raikes-May
              Message 6 of 9 , May 31, 2003
                She likes that she is famous in the USA and points out as I and Ben have been there so much, so has her fur as she always covers our cases and sweaters in it.She last 'shed' in Chicago and certainly 'left her heart' in San Francisco! On Pred she can now eat, walk and engage in life. Who am I to deny this just to extend her time?
                Love
                Debbiex

                Message 7 of 9 , May 31, 2003
                  Hi Debbie,

                  Be sure to check for glucose; Mittens developed diabetes after 5 weeks on
                  Pred. Now I have some urine glucose strips (for humans) and check his
                  urine every few weeks.

                  I've heard that the diabetes side effect of pred usually doesn't occur for
                  months. Of course Mittens had to be different (he was on pred to try to
                  lower his calcium).

                  Linda

                  more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com

                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • Wathey, Lisa
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 31, 2003
                    " She likes that she is famous in the USA and points out as I and Ben have been there so much, so has her fur as she always covers our cases and sweaters in it.She last 'shed' in Chicago and certainly 'left her heart' in San Francisco! "

                    Craig my boyfriend actually looked up what Treacle's name meant this a.m.!!! molasses, I love it - golden syrup. I hope today is going well for her with Hillary, please let us know how it went!!! Lisa W

                    This message and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee(s) only and may be confidential and covered by the attorney/client and other privileges. If the reader is not the intended recipient, DO NOT READ, notify sender and delete this message. In addition, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this message is strictly prohibited.

                  • Debbie Raikes-May
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 1, 2003
                      Thank you so much Carol
                      The pred seems to be really benefitting her and she is walking freely and amazed that she can do so!
                      It is also making her hungrier, which is great!
                      We are going for quality of life rather than just longevity and as I write this she sure looks happy and comfortable.
                      Thanks again
                      Much love
                      Debbie and Treacle (Purrrrrrrrrr)