Re: Severe Heart murmur Leading to heart failure

  • Sally J.Smith
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2003
      Hi there,

      I am sorry to hear of Figaro's condition but you have found a good
      place of support.

      My cat Muffin had a heart murmur most of his long life. When he got
      to be nearly 16 years old it changed and we went to see a
      cardiologist...we discovered he now had HCM which we treated it quite
      successfully for another 2 years. Then he began to develop fluid in
      the abdomen....this is called "Ascites" and is actually easier to deal
      with in most cases, than the fluid that can build up in and around the
      lungs because it can be drained manually.

      You need first to see a cardiologist to assess Figaro's condition.
      Once that is done it may be possible that he will respond well to the
      drug therapy...it does take some time balancing everything, but hang
      in there...another semi-positive effect of having the fluids manually
      drained is that it acts as a kind of dialysis of sort. CHF kitties
      often have reduced blood flow thru the kidneys so this actually helps
      keep their systems more "flushed". It needs to be done carefully and
      with a sterile proceedure but it does not usually require anesthesia,
      unless your kitty is especially nervous and wiggly at the vets...your
      vet will advise, I'm sure...and Figaro will feel so much better
      afterwards. They can also test the fluid for cancer cells as a
      precaution.

      The "basketball" can be uncomfortable, it can reduce breathing
      efficiency and it also often has a constipating effect so keeping th
      ebowls moving is important...ask your vet about the wonders of
      lactulose!

      Every kitty is different...my vets said that we had weeks not
      months once he begain to fill up...but they were wrong...we had over 7
      glorious months together after the diagnosis....yes, in the end he did
      pass away, but we had time to adjust and enjoy each and every day we
      were given. It was a real roller coaster some times, but this group
      helped so much.

      Please keep us posted on Figaros progress!

      Sally and Angel Muffin

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "rutebaga13" <jennadi2@h...>
      wrote:
      > My cat Figero is 11 and has a severe heart murmur,because of a
      > negligent vet we were not informed of his heart problem till he was
      > 9.Figero is now on 12.5mg of lasix once a day it makes him mildly
      > sick but seems to help with his breathing.My question is that Figero
      > now has a fluid-filled belly and the lasix does not seem to help as
      > much anymore has anyone else had experience with These issues
      before?
      > Figero i s VERY frail and cannot take much stress so i am very
      > hesitant to Bring him to him to his vet.Does anyone have any info
      on
      > Fluid in abdomen asssociated with A heart murmur?I would like to
      know
      > if It is causing him any pain And if there is anything to be done
      > about it.Thank you
    • Marja van Die
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2003
        Hi :-)
        Have read posts on this subject with very much interest because I am having the same problems with my cat I think.
        First of all, I am dutch, from Holland so want to mention I dont speak english that well, so pls excuse spelling mistakes plus a simple way of writing, specially with medical terms it is hard for me.
        I have a 17 1/2 year old female cat and end 2001 she first started to have problems with her rear legs, I went to the vet and they found nothing wrong with her. A few days later, at night, she crawled to me in bed having pain attacks as I saw it, moaning and falling over each time, this went on for hours. The next day the vet said she heard a ' galop rythym' in her heart. She has been taking fortekor ( benazepril ) each day since then. In the meantime she has had numurous bladder infections and in the end her woomb was taken out because it was badly infected and triggered off the bladder infections . Also bloodtests said she had CRF end 2002 so she has been on a diet for a while now.
        All this time, since she first started to have heartproblems, she hasnt been well at all. Everytime we thought we had found what was wrong, tried to fix it and something else popped up :-( A few weeks ago, within a few days, her belly became huge. At first I was happy, thinking she was putting on weight, now I know it is because she is holding fluids inside. She has been on medications to make her pee more but this doesnt seem to help much and according to the vet it is real bad for her kidneys.
        The vet said the reason for her big belly is because her heart is not functioning well. I asked the vet today if draining the fluids out of her would be an option, she said it is done but it is not without risk because the fluids are not just in one place and is hard to find where to drain it from. This is a dissapointment to me because im sure that if she gets rid of her big tummy she would feel so much better.
        I did get the impression that if I wanted the vet to do it, she would but she advised against it for the reasons I mentionned above.
        I realize my cat is real old but I love her so much, after all she has been through I wish she had at least some weeks feeling pretty happy. But perhaps I am holding on to her too much and it is time for me to let her go?
        greetings
        Marja

        "Sally J.Smith" <sallymerlin@...> wrote:Hi there,

        wrote:
        > My cat Figero is 11 and has a severe heart murmur,because of a
        > negligent vet we were not informed of his heart problem till he was
        > 9.Figero is now on 12.5mg of lasix once a day it makes him mildly
        > sick but seems to help with his breathing.My question is that Figero
        > now has a fluid-filled belly and the lasix does not seem to help as
        > much anymore has anyone else had experience with These issues
        before?
        > Figero i s VERY frail and cannot take much stress so i am very
        > hesitant to Bring him to him to his vet.Does anyone have any info
        on
        > Fluid in abdomen asssociated with A heart murmur?I would like to
        know
        > if It is causing him any pain And if there is anything to be done
        > about it.Thank you

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT