Does anyone know where I can buy..........

  • Debbie Raikes-May
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 31, 2003
      ............Does anyone know where I can buy (perhaps it is available in the USA?) BUFFERED i.e. coated, aspirin in 25 or 30mg dosage or smaller. Problem is I can only get 75mg unbuffered here and although 100mg is available buffered this would have to be cut down , thus 'unbuffering' it!
      Our vet says there is nothing else one can give to a cat to minimise the risk of embolism. There is no way I want Treac to go through a repeat of Saturday's fitting on 75mg but neither do I want her poor tabby body to get clotted up! A compromise has to be found...can you guys help? Also does anyone know of any side effects of ACE inhibitors and diuretics?

      By the way...now she is on different meds, I have no need of the Natrium Mor for arthritic support (joints) or Calca Fluor (for self esteem) ..........would these tablets which are homeopathic be useful to anyone? IF so, let me know and I will gladly post them. There are a couple bottles of each.
      Debbie Raikes-May
      Clock Consultancy Ltd

    • Sheila Monti
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 31, 2003
        I will check around for you. I know there is baby aspirin, but that i don't think is buffered. If I find any I will let you know. Did you try going online in your search engine? Silly question, I'm sure you did!! Sheila & Felix

        Debbie Raikes-May <debbie.raikesmay@...> wrote:............Does anyone know where I can buy (perhaps it is available in the USA?) BUFFERED i.e. coated, aspirin in 25 or 30mg dosage or smaller. Problem is I can only get 75mg unbuffered here and although 100mg is available buffered this would have to be cut down , thus 'unbuffering' it!
        Our vet says there is nothing else one can give to a cat to minimise the risk of embolism. There is no way I want Treac to go through a repeat of Saturday's fitting on 75mg but neither do I want her poor tabby body to get clotted up! A compromise has to be found...can you guys help? Also does anyone know of any side effects of ACE inhibitors and diuretics?

        By the way...now she is on different meds, I have no need of the Natrium Mor for arthritic support (joints) or Calca Fluor (for self esteem) ..........would these tablets which are homeopathic be useful to anyone? IF so, let me know and I will gladly post them. There are a couple bottles of each.
        Debbie Raikes-May
        Clock Consultancy Ltd

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • vandalin1
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 31, 2003
          Debbie,

          The smallest buffered aspirin I have seen is 81mg and most cats are prescribed one every three days. Does it have to be buffered? You could probably have it compounded into a liquid form so that you could administer a smaller dose.

          Anne V
          Warner Robins, GA
          From: Debbie Raikes-May

          Thanks Sheila, that would be so great. I haven't looked hard...I wondered if any one knew of sources throughtheir own experience

        • Debbie Raikes-May
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 31, 2003
            Thanks Sheila, that would be so great. I haven't looked hard...I wondered if any one knew of sources throughtheir own experience
            Thanks
            Debbie
[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • vandalin1
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 31, 2003
              Call a compounding pharmacy near you and ask.

              http://www.iacprx.org/referral_service/index.html

              Anne V
              Warner Robins, GA
              From: Debbie Raikes-May

              The smallest i can get here is 75mg and it is unbuffered. I didn't know about the liquid.

            • vandalin1
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 31, 2003
                I thought you were in the US. Do you have compounding pharmacies in the UK?

                Anne V
                Warner Robins, GA
                From: Debbie Raikes-May
                I am in the UK and so can't enter a UK post code.it seems to be only for USA and Canadian residents-is that right>

              • Debbie Raikes-May
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 31, 2003
                  Hi

                  From: Debbie Raikes-May

                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 31, 2003
                    Hi

                    From: Debbie Raikes-May

                    The smallest i can get here is 75mg and it is unbuffered. I didn't know about the liquid.

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • Steph
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 31, 2003
                      Debbie, our pharmacist told us aspirin is unstable in liquid form.

                      Gus is on an ACE inhibitor (Enalapril) as well as Lasix. Our
                      cardiologist wasn't concerned about giving both (we had asked her
                      about that, too). She did say we need to monitor his kidney values,
                      but as of last week, they look fine.

                      You can check:
                      http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/Interaction/ChooseDrugs

                      for drug contraindications.
                      I hope this helps.
                      -Steph
                      www.gussielou.com

                      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie Raikes-May"
                      <debbie.raikesmay@d...> wrote:
                      > ............Does anyone know where I can buy (perhaps it is
                      available in the USA?) BUFFERED i.e. coated, aspirin in 25 or 30mg
                      dosage or smaller. Problem is I can only get 75mg unbuffered here and
                      although 100mg is available buffered this would have to be cut down ,
                      thus 'unbuffering' it!
                      > Our vet says there is nothing else one can give to a cat to
                      minimise the risk of embolism. There is no way I want Treac to go
                      through a repeat of Saturday's fitting on 75mg but neither do I want
                      her poor tabby body to get clotted up! A compromise has to be
                      found...can you guys help? Also does anyone know of any side effects
                      of ACE inhibitors and diuretics?

                      > By the way...now she is on different meds, I have no need of the
                      Natrium Mor for arthritic support (joints) or Calca Fluor (for self
                      esteem) ..........would these tablets which are homeopathic be useful
                      to anyone? IF so, let me know and I will gladly post them. There are
                      a couple bottles of each.
                      > Debbie Raikes-May
                      > Clock Consultancy Ltd

                    • diane
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 31, 2003
                        I've always used Bufferin brand (I may have spelled that wrong)

                        Diane

                        >I will check around for you. I know there is baby aspirin, but that
                        >i don't think is buffered. If I find any I will let you know. Did
                        >you try going online in your search engine? Silly question, I'm
                        >sure you did!! Sheila & Felix

                      • Linda Fischbach
                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 31, 2003
                          Debbie, I believe that compounding is not legal in the UK.

                          Linda

                          > I am in the UK and so can't enter a UK post code.it seems to be only for
                          USA and Canadian residents-is that right>
                          > Thanks
                          > Debbie

                        • Debbie Raikes-May
                          Message 12 of 24 , Apr 1 7:52 AM
                            Dear Diane
                            Where do you get it from? I can't find it at all in the UK?
                            I am getting anxious because currently Treacle isn't on anything.
                            Thakns a lot
                            Debbie
                            I've always used Bufferin brand (I may have spelled that wrong)

                            Diane

                            >I will check around for you. I know there is baby aspirin, but that
                            >i don't think is buffered. If I find any I will let you know. Did
                            >you try going online in your search engine? Silly question, I'm
                            >sure you did!! Sheila & Felix

                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          • Debbie Raikes-May
                            Message 13 of 24 , Apr 1 7:58 AM
                              There are many things not legal here! BUt sometimes Scotland allows them as it is self giverning.
                              Debbie
                              Debbie, I believe that compounding is not legal in the UK.

                              Linda

                              > I am in the UK and so can't enter a UK post code.it seems to be only for
                              USA and Canadian residents-is that right>
                              > Thanks
                              > Debbie

                              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            • Debbie Raikes-May
                              Message 14 of 24 , Apr 1 8:05 AM
                                Apparently not. Turns out its illegal.
                                Debbie

                                From: Debbie Raikes-May
                                I am in the UK and so can't enter a UK post code.it seems to be only for USA and Canadian residents-is that right>

                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                              • Jonathan Rosenberg
                                Message 15 of 24 , Apr 1 10:58 AM
                                  In an earlier message, Debbie Raikes-May
                                  [mailto:debbie.raikesmay@...] said ...

                                  > Dear Diane
                                  > Where do you get it [buffered aspirin] from? I
                                  > can't find it at all in the UK? I am getting
                                  > anxious because currently Treacle isn't on
                                  > anything.

                                  Debbie,

                                  You might want to talk with your vet about how important it is for Treacle to
                                  taike the aspirin. I say this because it has never been shown that aspirin will
                                  help prevent clots in cats. But since aspirin does have that effect in humans,
                                  most vets suggest using it for certain heart patients, just in case it does
                                  help.

                                  My point is that it might not be that important for her to take the aspirin.

                                  --
                                  Jonathan Rosenberg
                                  Tabby (RB), Lynx (RB), Licorice, Tigger,
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Apr 1 12:08 PM
                                    Very interesting
                                    My vet said she could 'drop with a clot any second'. I was even scared to leave the room to go to the bathroom!
                                    Madam has eaten a whole coley fillett tonight and half a piece of chicken! She is trying to regain her figure!
                                    Her sister (jealous Kippurr) is trying on a delicate cough for size, witha faint hint of consumption in it - just to see if being poorly will get HER a coley fillett too (answer: it would!)
                                    I shall speak to Kate again about the A.
                                    Thanks so much
                                    Love
                                    Debbie. Treacle and Kipppurrr

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Apr 1 12:26 PM
                                      In an earlier message, Debbie Raikes-May
                                      [mailto:debbie.raikesmay@...] said ...

                                      > Very interesting
                                      > My vet said she could 'drop with a clot
                                      > any second'.

                                      Well, there is certainly a non-zero probability that this could happen.
                                      However, as I recall, Treacle has not thrown any clots, correct? The vast
                                      majority of cats with heart disease do not ever throw a clot.

                                      > I was even scared to leave the room to go
                                      > to the bathroom!

                                      When our old guy Lynx was with us, I was terrified to leave him alone as he had
                                      thrown 3 small clots. But, he did remarkably well on his meds & didn't throw
                                      any more.

                                      > Madam has eaten a whole coley fillett tonight
                                      > and half a piece of chicken!

                                      "coley" is some kind of fish, yes?

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Apr 1 1:56 PM
                                        It's very common here, any grocery or drug store has it.

                                        http://www.drugstore.com/qxp10117_333181_sespider/bufferin/tablets_coated_buffered_aspirin.htm

                                        I'm pretty sure this is the dosage I bought, I had to cut it into quarters.

                                        Diane

                                        >Dear Diane
                                        >Where do you get it from? I can't find it at all in the UK?
                                        >I am getting anxious because currently Treacle isn't on anything.
                                        >Thakns a lot
                                        >Debbie

                                      • Chris Martín
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Apr 1 8:45 PM
                                          On 4/1/03 1:08 PM,Debbie Raikes-May wrote:

                                          > Madam has eaten a whole coley fillett

                                          Ok. Now PEARL wants to know what's a coley fillett! she says, "If Kippurr
                                          wants one, I do too!"

                                          Chris
                                          "A house without either a cat or a dog is the house of a scoundrel."
                                          --Portuguese proverb
                                        • Debbie Raikes-May
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Apr 2 2:13 AM
                                            Thanks for this.

                                            Yes, Coley is indeed a fish....a small, ugly critter (Though perhaps not to another coley) and has very few bones so great for kitties. People eat it too but it is very cheap and needs a lot of sauce to make it taste of anything much. The kitties love it as it is very strong smelling. Two minutes in the microwave or aga and it is done. Treacle virtually climbs the worktop in her excitement to get at it!
                                            How do you know if your cat has a few clots? Despite the obvious major attack, that is?
                                            Thanks
                                            Debbie, Treacle and Kippurrr
                                            In an earlier message, Debbie Raikes-May
                                            [mailto:debbie.raikesmay@...] said ...

                                            > Very interesting
                                            > My vet said she could 'drop with a clot
                                            > any second'.

                                          • Debbie Raikes-May
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Apr 2 2:17 AM
                                              Dear Pearl
                                              Coley is a small ugly fish that kindly gives its life for the delectation of kitties. People can eat it too but it smells very strong and tastes bland so we don't really get warmed up about it. Treacle and Kippurrr love it and throw themselves in a purring frenzy at my legs if they think there is some for supper. It has the added fiscal benefit of being very ceap as well....about £2 for six pieces.

                                              I don't know if you can get it in the US of A.............it is fished off British waters. I would send you some but I have a feeling that if it smelled strong when just caught, imagine how yummy it would be after a week in the mail!!!!

                                              We are planting some roses in our garden at the weekend and I am going to put in a bush for Kitty Xerox. Chris, pease let me know what colour her fur was and I will pick something that she would look good to visit and snooze under.
                                              Love
                                              Debbie, Treacle and Kippurrrr ('Pearl! Coley is good!!)

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Apr 2 2:21 AM
                                                Thanks so much Diane for taking the trouble to write to me. This dosage is 325mg so even cut into qurters it is too high for Treacle. She needs 30mg every three days. Also cutting them takes the buffing off at least one side.
                                                So the search will continue!
                                                Best wishes
                                                Debbie, Treacle and Kippurrr
                                                It's very common here, any grocery or drug store has it.

                                                http://www.drugstore.com/qxp10117_333181_sespider/bufferin/tablets_coated_buffered_aspirin.htm

                                                I'm pretty sure this is the dosage I bought, I had to cut it into quarters.

                                                Diane

                                                >Dear Diane
                                                >Where do you get it from? I can't find it at all in the UK?
                                                >I am getting anxious because currently Treacle isn't on anything.
                                                >Thakns a lot
                                                >Debbie

                                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                              • Sheila Monti