Re: [FH] Tigger - weird breath sounds

  • cindy mitchell
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 30, 2003
      I would just keep an eye on him throughout the night. Lady's only signs of chf were shallow breathing (pretty normal for her). None of the sphinx position, diaphragm breathing etc.

      Is there somewhere closeby you can take him for a chest tap if necessary? I had to take Lady to Memphis that evening, and I really was not sure it was necessary, but the vet there said she would have died if I had not brought her in.

      Cindy and Lil Lady, angel kitty
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 30, 2003
        Debra,

        I just thought mylast post may have been too alarmist. I was a complete novice with the chf issues; Lady had only been diagnosed with HCM for less than a week when all that happened. I am sure you are much more in tune with Tigger's condition and how he sounds when distressed than I was. Giving the lasix sounds like an excellent idea to me.

        Boy, wouldn't it be easier if they could talk.

        Have a good night.

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 31, 2003
          Dear Debra
          I have the same thing with Treacle. Sometimes it is just because she has a cold! BUt because we are on the lookout constantly for the smallest sign of course we immediately put it down to the condition.

          I say 'trust your instincts' but at the same time, step back a little. If Tigger seems happy enough in himself and not distressed in any way, just monitor the situation over a day or so.
          Like me, I guess you just want to 'fix it' for your beloved animal.
          I wish they culd speak (can Tigs type??)
          Love
          Debbie and Treacle

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 31, 2003
            Hey Thanks Debbie and all for the advice. Tigger made it through the
            night just fine, and he
            ate like a pig! (He has a habit of waking me to let me know when he's
            gonna eat. Very
            considerate of him.) He does have allergies - he's constantly sneezing
            and snorting, and
            has done this his whole life. But this noise was a wheeze more in his
            throat, and the gurgle
            sounded like breathing gurgle. However, I haven't heard it again since
            last night.

            Now normally he gets 1/2 12.5 mg lasix in the morning, and half at
            night. Last night I gave
            him a whole one. This morning he will get his normal half. I'm
            wondering if I should continue
            giving an extra half every day for a couple of days, just to be safe. I
            could either give it in
            the middle of the day or split it between the morning and night. My
            vet, unfortunately, is
            out of town until Thursday, so I can't ask her advice.

            But I just love that he's eating, and I love that you all are as nutty
            and overreactive as I am
            about your babies! Thanks!!
            -Debra & Tigger

          • barbara
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 31, 2003
              Debra, don't know if I suggested it to you or someone else, but an air cleaner with ionizer works terrificly with these allergy babies. Barbara and the KittyBabies

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 2, 2003
                Hi Debra
                What colour is Tigger???I imagine a ginger and springy cat. Am I right?
                Treacle wakes me at 5am to say she would like to have a working breakfast pre the main event at 7am! I grumble and moan and try to hide but her searching paw snicks in under the duvet and taps me till I give up!
                She never goes to Ben's side! He is immobile and she knows when a cause is lost!

                How is Tigs today?
                Debbie. Treacle and Kippurrrxx