8850[FH] Re: Meatloaf position

  • Sally J.Smith <sallymerlin@yahoo.com>
    Jan 3, 2003
      Greetings all caregivers,

      While this information about a cats lying position is useful, it
      may also be terribly and unnecessarily frightening. One must take into
      account more than just the kitties position when resting in trying to
      assess how dire a kits condition may be.

      All his 18 1/2 years Muffin often rested/dozed in the "meatlof"
      position...way before he had any heart conditions at all. My kittens
      do it now, and they are HCM free.

      Then, when Muffin was Dxd with HCM, he would still sometimes
      sit/doze in that position...and would often go from that position to
      lying on his side! But he was just getting more comfortable!

      Finally, when he was in congestive heart failure stage, he mostly
      slept all stretched out on his side, mainly because his belly was
      often full of fluid.

      I say this because IF Muffin was still with me and if I was a new
      person reading this list's postings I would be rather freaked out by
      now with all these dire warnings about the "meatlof" position!

      We caregivers need to view the whole cat; does the kitty have a
      history of sleeping/dozing/meditating in this position? If so, it may
      just be natural for them. Does the kitty show any other signs of
      respiratory distress? How far along is the kits CHF? How is the
      heartrate, eating, drinking...etc. etc. etc...

      All these factors taken into account en total will need to be
      evaluated by the one who knows the kitty best, the primary caregiver,
      and then if you are still concerned, call your vet...but please don't
      assume that if your kit is dozing in the "meatloaf" position and then
      happens to roll over on it's side, that it is about to expire!

      By all means, do pay attention, but keep in mind that many kitties
      just sleep this way naturally.

      Best wishes to all

      Sally

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Susan <somnamblst@y...> wrote:

      > --- "lois_051958 <ljones432@e...>"
      > <ljones432@e...> wrote:
      > > Thanks for the info Susan.
      > >
      > > Yes, Gizmo does lay on his side, sometime he curls
      > > up and sometimes
      > > stretched out. He usually sits as I described when
      > > he's up on the
      > > kitchen counter watching what I am doing.
      > >
      > > What are abducted elbows? DOes that me tucked
      > > under?
      > >
      > > Lois
      >
      > Lois,
      >
      > I think the time to start worrying is when the cat
      > only sits in the sternal recumbancy position. And if
      > you read the Emergency Respiratory Distress article
      > when a cat goes from sternal to lateral recumbancy
      > respiratory arrest could be imminent.
      >
      > Susan
      >

      > =====
      > Rudy: Male DSH brown tabby, feral mom, diagnosed 09-2002 at 19
      months of age with idiopathic HCM: grade 2 murmur, hyperkinetic heart,
      borderline normal thickening, considered asymptomatic, 12.5 mg
      Atenolol 1x day, 1/2 baby aspirin 2x week administered via pilling

      > http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic