      From: marcijoy2002 [mailto:foxfried@...]
      Sent: Monday, May 06, 2002 12:49 PM
      To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [FH] Re: FIV+ cat (off topic)

      Are there really cats that live together and do not fight, ever? Even
      play fight? I thought it was natural for cats in a household to play
      fight with each other, especially kittens. Morris and Tigger are
      usually very affectionate with each other, but sometimes they really
      go at it. Tigger has actually bitten permanent holes in Morris' ear.
      And they are both neutered male senior citizens, so there's no
      testosterone issue involved.

      Marcia

      --- In feline-heart@y..., adawson1971@a... wrote:
      > I wondered the same thing when I considered fostering cast from my
      local shelter. I found this description at:
      http://www.healthypet.com/Library/cat_dog_health-1.html

      > Common Health Problems: How do cats get Feline Immunodeficiency
      Virus (FIV)?

      > Most cats become infected with FIV when they are bitten while
      fighting with an infected cat. The virus, present in the saliva of
      infected cats, passes beneath the skin of the victim when it is
      bitten. Once it is in the body, FIV infects cells, replicates, and
      spreads to new sites via blood vessels and lymph channels.

      > Most FIV-positive cats have a history of cat fights and bite-wound
      abscesses. Considering that bites are the primary mode of
      transmission, it is not surprising that cats at greatest risk of FIV
      infection are outdoor, adult males, who are most likely to engage in
      aggressive fights over territory.

      > A less common route of FIV transmission is from an infected mother
      cat (queen) to her kittens. Infection can occur in the uterus during
      pregnancy, through ingestion of virus-laden milk after birth or
      possibly as the kitten is delivered.

      > Not all kittens born to FIV-positive cats become infected with the
      virus. The reasons for this are not well understood although it
      appears that several factors may be involved, such as the strain of
      FIV and the health status of the mother cat. One FIV-positive queen
      might have a litter with no infected kittens. In some cases, litters
      may include some kittens with FIV and some without. This is an area
      of active research, and there are still more questions than answers.

      > Cats can also become infected with FIV if they receive FIV-positive
      blood or blood components in transfusions. However, the risk from
      blood transfusions has lessened considerable since reliable FIV
      diagnostic tests have become widely available. Today blood donor cats
      should be routinely screened for infectious agents.

      > Sexual transmission of FIV is theoretically possible. However, the
      actual incidence of sexual transmission is unknown. This possibility
      can be greatly reduced by early neutering.

      > FIV is rarely spread through casual contact (by sharing food and
      water bowls or litter pans, by airborne germs, or by mutual
      grooming). However, extremely sensitive, sophisticated tests have
      detected FIV proteins in some previously uninfected cats that had
      been living with positive cats for long periods. These "hidden"
      infections presumably occurred even though the cats did not fight.
      Although the affected cats had FIV proteins in their bodies, they did
      not test positive for FIV infection using routine blood tests and so
      far have not developed clinical signs of FIV infection. Therefore,
      the full implications of these observations are still unclear.
      However, casual FIV transmission must considered a possibility.
      (excerpt from The Cat AIDS Virus: What Every Cat Owner Should Know
      About Feline Immunodeficiency Virus (FIV) by Grady H. Shelton, DVM,
      Dipl. ABVP)