50249Coughing heart related?

  • melzywi26
    Jul 9, 2014

      Sassy was doing fine since diagnosed with a heart murmur and HCM (all though unconfirmed HCM, but suspected.)   Last few days I've noticed her Sneeze once a day.  And now she's coughing. She's coughed since before her heart issue. Only once in a great while.  Not sure if it's heart related or asthma. I have two other kitties who have asthma, and this sound similar.  They are doing construction around us so there is a lot of dust in the air, and people are cutting lawns.  So not sure if it's asthma from the air quality around the house (no windows open, and have central air with a filter).  Or if this coughing is related to the heart issue.  The doc wanted her on benazapril to help her heart because she also has beginning CRF even though Kidney numbers at last blood draw were normal and so was BUN.  She has elevated Phosphorus, and Potassium.  I have not given her the benazapril because of the possible side effect of increased potassium.

      Last night I had to resort to getting her to take her pills by putting it in some cheese. I had to have two cheese balls.  She at them, but then this morning when I came to let her out, she had thrown everything up, including all the food she ate!  So not sure if that was the cheese or, again related to the heart.

      Otherwise she seems to be acting much better since the phosphorus binders, and generic Zantac.    I have not gotten her back into the vet to do a retest because I have another cat who needs dental, or she will get another kidney infection. So she can't go in until the other cat has her dental done.  Not enough money to do both. Unfortunately.  So hopefully by august 1st or so I should be able to get Sassy in to get blood work.

      Hope to have a reply tonight from someone here :)

      Thanks!

      Mel & The Gang

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic