49713Re: [FH] Gel Caps?
- Feb 19, 2014Hi Missy! I pulled this information from Tanya’s Comprehensive Feline CRF site, since so many list members use gel caps. If you scroll down, you’ll see there’s an actual size link so you can get an idea of what size to use as well as suppliers in the US. Hope that helps! Original link is here: http://www.felinecrf.org/medicating_your_cat.htm#gelcapsRenaIf you have to give your cat several medications, it can be much easier to give them all at once by placing all the medications in an empty gelatin capsule (gelcaps in the USA) and just giving the one capsule; this also gets round the problem of foul-tasting medicines. You buy the gelatin capsules or gelcaps empty and fill them with the medications of your choice (though check with your vet about the combinations you have in mind, since not all medications can be taken with others). It may help to coat the capsule in butter before giving it to your cat: most cats like the taste of butter and it helps the gelcap go down smoothly. It is also helpful to follow any medications with water (see the importance of a water chaser).Gelatin capsules come in various sizes, from 000-5, with 5 being the smallest. As a general rule, you need the smaller sizes for cats, and most people on Tanya's CKD Support Group use size 3-4, or occasionally size 2,depending upon how many medications they will be putting in the capsule and how big their cat is. If you can only buy size 0 or size 1, one member found that if she took the capsule apart and cut part off the top of one end, when it was reassembled it was smaller and easier to give.Torpac sizes shows actual sizes of capsules, but is a manufacturer, not a retailer. Torpac also provides a pdf dosing guide.Torpac dimensions gives the dimensions of the capsules.Torpac Funnel is a little funnel to use when filling the gelcaps.US SuppliersMany health food shops sell empty gelcaps, usually the NOW brand which is available in a size 3. If they don't have them in stock, they can usually order them for you quite quickly.
- Thomas Labs charge US$9.95 per 1000 Size 4 gel caps with free shipping ground UPS in USA. Minimum order of US$30 required. Search for capsules if necessary.
- Always Affordable Vitamins sell 1000 size 3 gelcaps for US$8.99.
- Thriving Pets sells a variety of gelcaps from size 0 - size 5, with sizes 3 and 4 costing US$3 for 100. If you enter the word "tanya" (without the ") in the promotional code box, you will receive a 10% discount on orders over US$55. Shipping is free for orders over US$55 after the discount.
On Feb 19, 2014, at 9:20 PM, Missy Zane <missyz@...> wrote:Question for those of you who put all of your cats' meds in gel caps. What size gel cap do you use? Sizzle's cardiologist recommended #4, but even his 1/4 of a Plavix tablet doesn't fit. I bought some human probiotic capsules, pour the powder out and put Sizzles meds in. But all of his meds won't fit in one so I need to use two. I'd love it if he had to swallow just one capsule.
- Capsuline sells size 3 beef or chicken flavoured Cat Caps. At US$23.95 for 1000 plus shipping, they are more expensive than unflavoured gelcaps, which they also sell. They also sell a capsule filling machine but it is expensive at US$80.99 and only seems to work for larger size capsules.
- << Previous post in topic Next post in topic >>