49616Re: Lasix seems to no longer be working.

  • r schu
    Jan 21, 2014

      Emily and Tiger,

      Mary is very knowledgeable and brings up some good questions about other meds as options.

      I would add that our cardiologist said that he experiences cats developing somewhat of a 'tolerance' to lasix,  and requiring more or additional diuretics over time.  ('Tolerance' is a simple way to indicate the complex process involved that I didn't understand enough to re-write here.)  He wasn't in favor of spiro for my May, as she is currently on a low dose of lasix, but did agree that spiro is a good adjunct to lasix in certain circumstances.

      Hope this info is helpful to your puzzle and that Tiger breathes easier soon.

      -Lee and May

      Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:45 pm (PST) . Posted by:

      Hi Emily and Tiger--

      I am sorry to hear that the lasix may not be fully handling Tiger's CHF.
      Ask your vet about perhaps adding in spironlactone/ HCTZ to Tiger's lasix.
      Spirono/HCTZ acts on a different portion of the kidney cell (the nephron)
      and augments the overall diuretic effect.
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic