48987Re: Is Lysine ok to use?

  • carolroars
    Sep 18, 2013
      hi Brooke,

      The problem with putting it in the water is that it loses it's potency over time and you don't know how much they're actually getting. For treating URI's the cats needs get a full dose (250 to 500mg twice daily). When I first treat, I give the max dose of 500mg twice a day, for about 4 days, the go down to the maintenance dose of 250mg twice a day. The best way to get it into them is to put the full dose in a small portion of canned food, just enough to make sure they eat it all. It doesn't have much flavor, so they shouldn't mind it.

      I've been giving Lysine to our 22yr old Misty, heart kitty, for years with no problems.

      Carol
      Another thing you can do for the URI's is give colloidal silver and nebulize them with colloidal silver. I've been doing this for years. I learned about it on the Silverpets group.

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "bspringsted425" <bspringsted425@...> wrote:

      > Just a quick question. I have 11 cats in the house and most of them seem to have the herpes virus that causes URIs. Every now and then they get flare-ups, which essentially means the whole house is sneezing and has goopy eyes. Usually, they fight it off themselves but on rare occasions I've had to get antibiotics for them. When my first one was diagnosed I was told to use Lysine, which I have done for years now. I have lysine treats and I also put the powder in their drinking water. I was just about to add some to their water, when I stopped and realized that I should probably make sure that it won't have a bad effect on a heart cat. As far as I know, its a pretty harmless supplement. The dosage for the drinking water doesn't have to be an exact amount, which makes me think that it's rarely harmful if you don't even have to be absolutely sure of the specific measurement of the amount you use. But I know that while some supplements are harmless to healthy cats, that might not be the case for unhealthy ones. So does anyone know offhand if I can use the lysine powder in the water without it harming Wendy? She's actually sniffling and sneezing too and the vet just gave me antibiotics for her in case it gets worse. She's being cautious because she doesn't want to risk her getting any sicker. Of course, I didn't think to ask the vet about the lysine when I was there the other day. And now they are only open for emergency appointments and asking "Can I put Lysine in her water?" doesn't really constitute and emergency to call for in my mind. So I figured I'd check here quickly to see if anyone knows. Maybe I'm being overly paranoid but I wanted to make sure!
      >
      > Brooke

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic