      From: bspringsted425 <bspringsted425@...>
      To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, September 16, 2013 5:29 PM
      Subject: [FH] Thoughts/Opinions on Plavix?

      I am interested to hear your thoughts and opinions on Plavix.

      Wendy went for her one month re-check appointment today and seems to be doing well! The vet I use is part of a large animal hospital with a large staff so I rarely see the same vet tech each time we go, but this time I had the same tech who was there when I initially took Wendy in for her emergency appointment (luckily our emergency vet is also our regular vet) a month ago. She remembered her and seemed surprised that she was still doing well. I mentioned that initially I was afraid we wouldn't be at this appointment because I didn't expect her to live that long, and she agreed, just based on how bad she was the night I first took her in. I feel like I'm going to jinx it if I get too excited but I was happy to see both the vet and the vet tech surprised, yet happy that Wendy was still here!

      As for my question: I've been reading through this group ever since that horrible night a month ago and see that many of you have your cat on Plavix to prevent clotting. Wendy hasn't thrown a clot yet and the vet said she isn't showing signs that she is going to (other than the obvious fact that she has heart disease). But through my own research, I have found a lot of info that says that cats with RCM are more likely to throw a clot than a cat with HCM, though both are at risk. If this is true, then Wendy is at a slightly higher risk since she has RCM.

      She wasn't on any anti-clotting or blood thinning medicine, but I asked the vet about it today. I wanted to put her on it as a preventative if it wouldn't harm her to do so. The vet said that we can definitely put her on it, but that there isn't a lot of documented evidence that it DOES help in the event of a clot. She said it won't harm her at all to give it to her, so basically, it can only help, but that I shouldn't rely on it and that I should know that the chance of a clot is still there. And research shows that the likelihood of her getting a clot is still the same on or off the Plavix. She did point out that this is only information in the research that this particular animal hospital has studied and that I should know that just because the research doesn't show that it works well, doesn't mean that it doesn't work. It just means its not there in black and white documented on paper.

      So I'm wondering if I should go ahead and give her the Plavix or just keep her on the meds that she is already on without adding anything. She's not very good about taking medicine and since I've been shoving pills down her throat and squirting liquid into her mouth three times a day for the last month, she's starting to get even more difficult. She's a smart cat and she clearly knows what time she gets the medicine because she runs away from me the moment she sees me coming near her at those times, even if she can't see the medicine. At any other time of day she's glued to my side, but at 7am, 3pm and 11pm she runs away! I just don't want to stress her out more by adding another pill BUT if its good for her to take it then I will.

      I'm curious about personal experiences because while this vet/hospital has never given us any reason to doubt them, they are a very textbook oriented hospital. I'm not sure how else to describe it. They listen to personal experiences and are glad to share personal experiences with other clients, but when it comes to giving out the facts, they stick with what they can verify and back up through documented research. So based on that I'm inclined to think that the Plavix is a good thing, they just can't verify that via documented evidence.

      Any thoughts? Sorry for rambling...I just wanted to be clear as to why I'm questioning what the vet said and looking for personal experiences instead.

      Brooke

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic