48785Re: HyPOthyroid- heart issues connection

  • Maggie Wilson
    Aug 25, 2013
      Thank you so much for responding, Judith. I'd really like to ask you more questions. I've been a member of all the thyroid groups + adrenals etc- to learn as we've been dealing w/ endocrine issues since Dec 2010 but it seems you have some different info.

      Hemopet and Dr. Dodds has been on Miles' case since the beginning. Lately I've been communicating w/ her daily as we recently began Miles on 1/4 grain Armour. No one can figure him out. He's reacted to the synthetic hormones including T3-cytomel.

      She said it will take several wks until retest so I'd like to know more about what you know w/ animals responding quickly, not building systemically, etc. when you get a moment.

      He's building fluid very fast-pleural effusion w/ RCM- yet his recent last echo says his heart is 'surprisingly' almost the same-just slight worsening since d/x in April. The cardiologist was surprised so this very fast fluid build-up- and I mean w/n hours of a tap, he's respirating again. So this fast fluid build-up is making me look like I'm a crazy cat lady b/c the vets (5)- and one in particular, keeps debating me even though she sent us home twice only to tap 180 ml 2 days late all the while I was giving 30mg injection lasix a day. Miles can't handle much more than that dehydration wise and I've had to up it again w/n the last few days.

      I don't want to waste time here, but the lack of care in my area is atrocious. They think of him as a certain age and don't even read the BW- so I'm trying to treat his low electrolytes, read about high WBC's myself. Because the vets think this fast fluid build is impossible, I believe there is something causing it and underlying the RCM (idiopathic of course). Low thyroid being one- possibly lung infection as another.

      I very very much appreciate anything anyone has to share. You never know when your experiences will help someone. I've been helped tremendously through everyone's stories.

      Thank you Judith for taking the time.

      Brenda

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "JudithG" <goldbe50@...> wrote:

      > Yes, hypothyroidism affects heart function. It affects the entire body and the personality. Untreated will lead to death.
      >
      > My angel Bianca went hypoT after I-131. Even with full thyroid panels, it didn't show. Being hypoT myself (which is why I always asked for a full panel) and it taking almost a year until diagnosed, I've always felt I should have caught the symptoms. At the time, there wasn't much info online about post I-131 treatment problems plus it isn't done where I lived. I later found out hypoT after I-131 is very common.
      >
      > Is Miles on thyroid replacement hormone now? He should be. The dosage is huge compared to human dosage and often needs to be given twice a day. A consult with Cornell Feline resulted in the suggestion to test twelve hours apart, the same day, to ensure the dosage is correct. With humans, the hormone is systemic, builds up in your system. Not so with cats (and dogs). Plus factor is you don't have to wait 3 months to feel better. Works fast. Bianca went from depressed to her old self in no time.
      >
      > You might join the feline hyperthyroid group to get further information.
      >
      > Judith

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic