48596Re: Enlarged left and right atrium

  • elfinmyst
    Aug 3, 2013
      HI Mandy

      HCM usually affects the left side of the heart , but I`m not sure for RCM.
      It means she's at risk for both sided heart failure. Left sided affects the
      lungs with increased breathing usually noticed or a change in breathing at
      rest. Right sided backs fluids into the body so look for a swollen abdomen
      or paws. Of course this may be a long way off, some of my HCM cats have
      not progressed in years, but always best to be aware of symptoms. Fortekor
      and vetmedin help the heart to beat more normally, so there is less chance of
      heart failure. Frucimide (lasix) is a diuretic to pull any fluid from the
      lungs and body that may be from the heart failure.