      To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      From: msrubin@...
      Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 16:24:42 -0400
      Subject: RE: [FH] What is considered high BP for a kitty?

      That's good news. It obviously helped that you were there. It should get

      easier each you time go with him since Samson will quickly learn that it's

      okay and you'll be with him.

      How did they get the diastolic pressure reading? My understanding is that

      only the systolic pressure is available using a Doppler.

      From what I understand, stress is taken into account and attempts are made

      to reduce the stress and take multiple readings in different situations to

      gauge/reduce the effect of stress, as you have done by being present. Then,

      treatment would be recommended if the reading is consistently over the

      target of 150 (or whatever the target is) if the cat has other medical

      conditions going on that influence or are influenced by blood pressure. My

      vet usually takes 5 - 6 readings, more if the average is over 130. Maybe

      next time you could ask your vet to do more than three. As you see, they can

      jump around during the same exam.

      Mary Sue