48271RE: [FH] What is considered high BP for a kitty?

  • Mary Sue Rubin
    Jun 21 10:00 AM
      Hi Shiloh,

      I have experience with BP meds for two of my cats. One cat suffered retinal
      detachment with a BP of 225. I now know the importance of following BP on
      all cats over the age of 8. She was in her teens at that time three years
      ago and showed no signs of a problem until all of a sudden her eyes went
      cloudy. She gets amlodipine, 1.25 mg/day. She has so far not developed heart
      disease, diabetes, or thyroid problems which often go along with high BP. I
      get her BP checked every three months and she is stabilized around 100-110.
      Her amlodipine dose is twice what most cats require as initially a smaller
      dose did not bring her BP down below 170 which was considered too high. Both
      my regular vet and ophthalmologist are concerned when BP is consistently
      above 150 or 160.

      Another cat, who is now 18 and was diagnosed with RCM 5 months ago, didn't
      have high BP but was prescribed benazapril, 1.25 mg/day. Her BP remains
      around 85, which is on the low side of normal.

      Your idea of being present when your cats get their BP checked is essential.
      Stress can affect the reading, but I don't know the average. Don't let them
      weigh him or check his temperature or anything before hand. I hold onto my
      cats wrapped in a favorite blanket or just in my arms the whole time we are
      waiting in the exam room prior to the procedure. Then I hold onto them and
      talk to them softly during the procedure. This has definitely helped with
      the BP of the blind cat. Her reading can increase up to 20 points when she
      is stressed.

      Mary Sue