48063HCM in 10 month old

  • K
    May 20, 2013
      Hi everyone. I was introduced to this group from a Siamese Group on FB. 4 weeks ago I noticed my 10 month old Si mix, Dali, breathing heavy. I rushed her to the vet and she had X-Rays, ECG, and blood work. Turns out she has HCM and we were lucky to catch it. Dali is now on 1/2 a tablet of Lasix every 8 hours as well as 1/4 of a tablet of another heart medicine. The vet said she could live anywhere from a few days to 6-8 years. Absolute best case, my vet thinks 6 years. I'm already finding this every 8 hours to be tedious, but I don't mind doing it. She's my babiest baby (I have 2 others, they're fine) and I'm just glad she's still alive! And if this is how I keep her alive for longer, then I'll do it. I do get freaked out when I think about things I have coming up though. I have a family reunion this summer, as well as a few small weekend things. I don't feel like I can trust anyone with the responsibility. My husband has given Dali her meds a few times, but that results in me BOMBARDING him with calls/texts to make sure she got it, to make sure she didn't spit it up, etc. The trouble with when the family reunion is, is that his job has him working 10-12 hour shifts, and that is ENTIRELY too long for her to not get her medicine. So then that gives me a bad feeling. How do I get my mind back to normalcy? Also, at Dali's 3 day follow up the vet said she wouldn't kennel Dali if we go away, because it's too stressful for her. She said it's best for D if we have someone come in. I can barely trust my hubs! Let alone a stranger? HA! A few other things I was told were: she can dictate what she can do, meaning if she's tired she will rest and if she wants to play she will play. She shouldn't get any vaccines, at all. I thought this was weird but my cats are STRICTLY indoors. I don't even like them to be on the balcony when we are out there. Also, I think her pee smells strong now.
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic