      From: Mary Sue Rubin
      Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2013 9:29 PM
      To: marycayd@... ; feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [FH] aspirin

      Hi Marycay,

      My cat gets ¼ aspirin twice a week, prescribed by the cardiologist. She has restrictive-like cardiomyopathy and congestive heart failure and is at high risk for clots. When I asked about the aspirin he said there is really no proof that either aspirin or Plavix work to prevent blood clots, but it’s the best they have now and there might be fewer side effects with aspirin. I will discuss this with him again when we review Esther’s progress and possible changes in meds in a couple of weeks since if there is no research showing benefit I’m not sure I want to continue it. I guess long term use can cause problems. So far she has had no obvious side effects from the aspirin and she has been getting it for about 9 weeks. At first I thought maybe it upset her stomach and appetite so on the days she gets the aspirin I also give her ¼ of a Pepcid.

      Mary Sue