      From: Karen <krprice@...>
      To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, March 29, 2013 1:17 PM
      Subject: Re: [FH] My Bob, a 15 year old CRF kitty -- diagnosed with DCM today

      Thanks for that. I understand why they do it, but it's still quite frustrating.

      I've been doing a lot of reading, and keep coming across sites that say something to the effect that cats with taurine-deficient DCM generally have a good prognosis, if they can get through the first 2-3 weeks of treatment. It could take as long as 6 months for a full recovery, or close, unless the disease has progressed "too far."

      Now I'm curious to know whether Mr. Bob really is taurine-deficient, or if he's one of the very unlucky cats who develop idiopathic DCM. And if he is taurine-deficient, I want to know what "too far" means.

      But... we had a good-ish day yesterday. He didn't eat or drink as much as I would have liked (or, as he'd put it, I didn't stop putting food and water in his face as much as he would have liked), but we gave him a very small amount (less than 50cc) of fluids last night and he perked right up. He ate all of his overnight food and took his pills and drank his tuna water this morning.

      One day at a time, I guess.

      Karen