47547RE: [FH] Zeke starting Furosemide

  • Mary Sue Rubin
    Mar 21, 2013
      Janette,

      I'm glad you asked that question. There is so much I still have to learn
      about my cat's heart failure.

      What I've read relating to human use of this drug is that combined the two
      can contribute to lowering blood pressure more than benazepril alone. My cat
      has been on both for about 8 weeks. Her blood pressure has been staying
      around 80, which is considered normal, though a little low for my comfort. I
      get her BP checked every 6-8 weeks or so when I get repeat blood work done.

      This I found on the Marvista site and relates specifically to cats

      :

      "Benazepril is commonly used in combination with diuretics, especially
      furosemide <http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_furosemide.html> . In this
      situation, monitoring kidney parameters is especially important as both
      these medications serve to decrease blood supply to the kidney as they
      support the heart. Should a heart failure crisis occur while a patient is on
      these two medications, it will become necessary to rely on the diuretic to
      resolve the crisis. High doses of diuretic are typically needed. This can
      potentially lead to kidney failure though there is no alternative when the
      heart is failing."

      "In heart failure patients, when benazepril is commonly given in conjunction
      with a diuretic (like furosemide), kidney parameters (BUN and Creatinine)
      should be measured prior to benazepril use, again 3-7 days after benazepril
      therapy has started, and periodically thereafter. Kidney function should
      also be rechecked after any dose change in the heart failure patient."

      "Benazepril is used in the treatment of high blood pressure
      <http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_high_blood_pressure.html> , in the
      treatment of congestive heart failure, and in the treatment of renal
      (kidney) protein-loss (such as glomerulonephritis). In the cat, amlodipine
      <http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_amlodipine_besylate.html> is felt to
      have more reliable effect in treating high blood pressure but if the cat
      also has renal protein-loss, then benazapril is generally preferred."

      I'm going to ask the cardiologist about amlodipine, though I'm guessing
      there is a good reason he prescribed benazepril instead. One of my other
      cats has been taking amlodipine for high blood pressure for several years
      with no apparent ill effects. She has idiopathic retinal detachment. Causing
      blindness. I am now a proponent of having BP checked periodically on all
      cats over the age of eight. Her retinal detachment could have been avoided.

      You should be checking breaths per minute. My cardiologist said 14-16 is
      great which is where my cat has been. She was around 20 after starting her
      meds. Once it gets close to 30 there is a crisis. It also partly depends on
      what the individual cats' normal BPM is. I certainly didn't know that for my
      cat. The guideline is to count breathes in a 15 second interval and then
      multiply by 4. I feel that counting for 30 and multiplying by 2 or counting
      for 60 seconds is more accurate. The cat should be at rest preferably
      sleeping. I do this when my cat is curled up in my lap while I am reading.

      I hope this helps. I'm sure those with more experience have plenty more to
      offer.

      Mary Sue