47429RE: [FH] Re: benazepril dangers

  • Mary Sue Rubin
    Mar 8, 2013
      Hi Karen,

      Thank you for this explanation. Everything I read helps me get a better
      understanding of my 18 year old cat's newly diagnosed restrictive-like CM (I
      think there were some signs that weren't clear cut) and right sided CHF. One
      thing I might have misunderstood or for which I could benefit from more
      information is the last half of this statement in your post:

      "We typically use lasix to remove excess fluid from the heart and
      lungs...the mechanism of action doesn't really work on abdominal fluid
      build-up (or any fluid build up in body cavities)."

      My cat was prescribed Lasix for ascites. She did not have fluid buildup
      in/around her lungs or heart, however her liver was slightly enlarged and
      had some nodules, which we aren't addressing at this point. Her abdominal
      fluid was gone in fewer than 10 days with the Lasix. (She's also taking
      Vetmedin, benazepril, and aspirin). What am I missing from that statement?

      Thanks,

      Mary Sue

      ...We typically use lasix to remove excess fluid from the heart and
      lungs...the mechanism of action doesn't really work on abdominal fluid
      build-up (or any fluid build up in body cavities). I know it may seem
      counter-productive, but a lot of medications work in synergy (or work better
      when used together).
      Karen Plasket, DVM