      From: Mary Sue Rubin <msrubin@...>
      To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, March 2, 2013 12:52 PM
      Subject: RE: [FH] Re: Vetmedin & PlavixforRCM

      I think cardisure is in the UK and Vetmedin is in the US. Is that correct? They seem to be the same drug. The Vetmedin is off label for cats in the US. I was given the 1.25 mg to cut in half. The first time I gave it to Esther she chewed it, but not again. I cut the half in half and use Pill Pockets. Luckily, she has been taking her meds that way. If she stops, I will put everything into one capsule and give it to her with a pill gun. The cardiologist said it was okay to use Pill Pockets. I was concerned about the sodium content.

      Regarding an earlier question about giving Vetmedin with or without food, my cardiologist did not specify. I have read that giving it without food allows it to start working more quickly, but giving it with food does not change the bioavailability, just the speed with which it starts working.

      Mary Sue