47307Re: Small signs of hope

  • tourtaney
    Feb 27, 2013
      Maggie is on 12.5mg Furosemide, twice/daily however I've added 1/2 tab in between doses and 2.5mg benazapril. Her heart murrmur is a 3-3.5/6 and her heart rate is pretty high. An xray two weeks ago showed fluid rebuilding in her chest cavity. We discussed the Plavix and Vetmedin but my vet is pretty conservative and Maggie has had med. sensitivity in the past so we're worried about side effects. She was first diagnosed Dec. 1st. She has good day and bad days.

      When she was first diagnosed, she was also put on a steriod for her asthma as the asthma can worsen with heart disease and her BPMs have been running high. But the oral steriod proved to be too much and even the inhaled steriod gave her adverse affects and made her breathing MUCH worse. She we dropped all steriods and are just managing the heart disease.. She's 12.

      Courtney & Maggie

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "catmomcolumbus" <stacy.brannan@...> wrote:

      > Hi, Courtney.
      >
      > Folks around here seem to consider Vetmedin a wonder drug. Daphne has been on it since Sunday, and it's especially critical for kitties with DCM, though it seems to help other kinds of heart disease, too. From the studies I have read, it makes the heart muscle stronger and opens the blood vessels so that blood can pass through more easily. In studies, it has extended the life of dogs and cats that have been on it. It's also considered to be pretty well tolerated. Daphne doesn't seem to be having a problem with it, though the drug manufacturer's website says it takes about a week for you to start seeing improvements, with additional improvements over the next several weeks. So, at this point I'm just waiting and praying. It's because of that "at least a week" thing that I'm considering bumping back her follow-up appointment with the cardiologist.
      >
      > Today Daphne is a little better than yesterday, thanks so much for asking. She's moving around, she just ate about five teaspoons of slightly watered down baby food for me on her own. Still not enough to discontinue syringe feeding, but it's an improvement. Then she ate some fuzz off the floor, which is her own weird habit she's been doing for years and years. Also a sign that she's feeling a little better, I think.
      >
      > So, what did your vet suggest you do for Maggie?
      >
      > --Stacy and Daphne
      >

      > --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "tourtaney" <tourtaney@> wrote:
      > >
      > > So I should have used the search BEFORE I wrote my question. I just posted a message looking for anyone else familiar with RCM. My Maggie was diagnosed on Dec. 1st.
      > >
      > > Can you tell me what you learned about the Vetmedin? My vet just discussed this with me but we came to the conclusion to not give it to Maggie because she's proven to be sensitive to meds and my vet didn't feel comfortable about it. I'm curious to learn what kind of info you were given about the drug.
      > >
      > > How is Daphne doing today?
      > >
      > > Courtney & Maggie
      > >
      > > --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "catmomcolumbus" <stacy.brannan@> wrote:

> [...]
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic